A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 10th December 2018, 05:29 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

The garage is struggling to get hold of a new set of springs now.

TPS say NLA but have given the following part numbers. Are these correct?:

Rear: 4D0511115 BJ
Front: 4D0411105 BE

Anyone know of a reliable supplier that might have these in stock? Need them by Wed
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 10th December 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
The garage is struggling to get hold of a new set of springs now.

TPS say NLA but have given the following part numbers. Are these correct?:

Rear: 4D0511115 BJ
Front: 4D0411105 BE

Anyone know of a reliable supplier that might have these in stock? Need them by Wed
There are a couple of German online sites that I've purchased from in the past, but doubt they could deliver by Wednesday. I checked the numbers and they both give the option of ordering them, but don't know if that means they have them in stock. The sites are as follows, with the ACCA one being cheaper (by around 30 euro each. ACCA defaults to USD instead of EUR):

http://e-acca.com/index.php
https://www.carparts-pros.com/index.php

Might be a worth an email or phone call.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th December 2018, 08:11 AM

Thanks Sean

I'm actually now wondering if going back to the idea of replacing the springs with coilovers might be better, but adjusting them to give the same (ie 'stock') ride height, assuming that's possible

Coilovers seem to be readily available for next day delivery and even collection (today) from one relatively local supplier. Can anyone recommend a set that could be adjusted to give a stock ride and height?

Failing that, the old springs might just have to go back in for now. It was just preferable to replace them while they're doing the subframe.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 11th December 2018, 08:28 AM

Audi Tradition have a large selection of those springs, it's quite likely that those German sites can source from them.

I did that successfully recently (as Audi Tradition's processes for buying direct are very broke, or were) using online-teile (Logistikzentrum Lehrte).

Edit: Audi Tradition is still broken for UK orders, I just tried to buy a 2019 calendar and got the usual "PayPal not available" message when choosing Cedit Card and entering my card details (NOT PayPal account).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th December 2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11th December 2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks Sean

I'm actually now wondering if going back to the idea of replacing the springs with coilovers might be better, but adjusting them to give the same (ie 'stock') ride height, assuming that's possible
Probably not, most of the adjustable coilover market is centered about lowering so most of the kits are 30mm lower than standard suspension on the highest setting which translates to 10mm lower on sports suspension.

My experience is only with cheap German https://www.tatechnix.de/tatechnix/gx/ set on A6. Putting a set on highest setting with extra 5mm washers resulted in drop pf 15mm front and 10mm rear compared to 15 year old sports suspensions which was kind of OK. 2 years later they have settled down another ~15mm and now it is way too low catching on everything and no more way to adjust them higher. Not sure where to go from here, considering welding in 20-25mm extra piece in the bottom of shocks to raise it up.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 11th December 2018, 10:33 AM

I've just taken a set of Eibach springs off the manual swap since they sat too high with the reduced weight of the manual gearbox. They do sit a few mm higher than the stock S8 springs since they're designed to lower the non-sport model (Eibach are weird like that), but they might solve the problem. They're in nice condition too. I can ask if they are for sale?
Old 11th December 2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I've just taken a set of Eibach springs off the manual swap since they sat too high with the reduced weight of the manual gearbox. They do sit a few mm higher than the stock S8 springs since they're designed to lower the non-sport model (Eibach are weird like that), but they might solve the problem. They're in nice condition too. I can ask if they are for sale?
Yes please!

Car's on the ramp and apparently one spring is broken so the old ones can't go back on. Spent all morning on the phone and so far I'm struggling to find anywhere that has ANYTHING suitable in stock. No coilovers and not even used springs from A8 parts. Nada

ANYTHING would do right now!

Cars Owned:

Old 11th December 2018, 12:56 PM

Thanks again MJ, especially for arranging those Eibach springs to be despatched so quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Audi Tradition have a large selection of those springs, it's quite likely that those German sites can source from them.

I did that successfully recently (as Audi Tradition's processes for buying direct are very broke, or were) using online-teile (Logistikzentrum Lehrte).

Edit: Audi Tradition is still broken for UK orders, I just tried to buy a 2019 calendar and got the usual "PayPal not available" message when choosing Cedit Card and entering my card details (NOT PayPal account).
Thanks Andrew.

I noticed AT were showing some in stock too. I actually contacted them recently to ask them about the online ordering issue/error, to which I got this reply a few days later (6th Dec):

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail.

You can register your company in our Audi Tradition online shop under the following link:

https://trshop.audi.com/konakart/Cus...95040.tomcat01

We ask you to fill this form including the VAT number of your company.

Please fill the box "I want to be authenticated as commercial customers".

As a commercial customer you have the benefit of 10% discount.

We hope this information is helpful for you. If you have further questions, out team will gladly assist you.

Yours sincerely,

On behalf of Auto Union GmbH

Sybille Dietrich
I immediately re-registered with them, using my business name, VAT number, etc but have heard nothing since. My business is IT-related though, so maybe MJ or someone with an automotive-related business will have better luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Probably not, most of the adjustable coilover market is centered about lowering so most of the kits are 30mm lower than standard suspension on the highest setting which translates to 10mm lower on sports suspension.

My experience is only with cheap German https://www.tatechnix.de/tatechnix/gx/ set on A6. Putting a set on highest setting with extra 5mm washers resulted in drop pf 15mm front and 10mm rear compared to 15 year old sports suspensions which was kind of OK. 2 years later they have settled down another ~15mm and now it is way too low catching on everything and no more way to adjust them higher. Not sure where to go from here, considering welding in 20-25mm extra piece in the bottom of shocks to raise it up.
Thanks Ainars, I thought that might be the case.

I spoke to a few coilover suppliers this morning and they seemed to confirm that too, although most were a bit unsure if the minimum lowering was a figure relative to the A8 or the S8. Since the S8 is often listed as an A8 (as far as parts go), I wonder if some 'A8' coilovers on the highest setting would result in a similar to standard (S8) ride-height

I might make some more enquiries in the coming weeks to see if I can get a definitive answer from any of the coilover manufacturers. For now at least, I'll stick with the Eibach springs.

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 11th December 2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11th December 2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I immediately re-registered with them, using my business name, VAT number, etc but have heard nothing since. My business is IT-related though, so maybe MJ or someone with an automotive-related business will have better luck.
I think, from comments I've seen elsewhere, they will only register businesses based in Germany or Austria (which is undoubtedly illegal under EU rules, but there you go!) and who pass credit checks and open an account to pay on receipt of invoice.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th December 2018, 02:17 PM

I'm not VAT registered so nicht gut there. I believe Maria has tried to register A8parts too, but no joy either. I'll email her this info in case its anything new though.