A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 5th December 2018, 07:04 PM

Default LPG the 3 letter word you can't search for.

One thing I hate about all forums is searching for 3 letter acronyms.

My previous Subaru had an LPG conversion and i was rather impressed. Such that I'm idly contemplating if its worth doing on the S8.

However sods law searching for LPG yields nada.

anyone offer any advice? point me in the direction of any useful discussion on converting the S8?

thanks in advance
Old 5th December 2018, 07:32 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

If I did the miles I would do this at the drop of a hat. Heres a link to my old S8.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55

I was running back and to from Edinburgh and Glasgo to Plymouth and saved the cost of installation in 10 months.

HtH

CtL

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 5th December 2018, 08:34 PM

Thanks Mike. Can you tell me more about your conversion?
Old 6th December 2018, 12:00 AM

I don't have a D2 S8 but do have a '01 3.7 which I got a LPG conversion done on it. It's laid out pretty much the same way as Mike's photos, including the big tank in the boot.

Cost me £1,500 and paid for itself in 11 months and around 10,000 miles. Running costs are roughly around 50%, but depends on the cost of LPG in your area. The government even manage to give you £10 off your road tax.

Performance wise, I've never noticed mine being down on power... maybe I'm not driving fast enough. Side story... in 2016 when a group of us were doing the Wild Atlantic Way, I was leading a group of three of us (there were two more cars and an unfortunate event with a mobile phone, but that's another story) when we had the opportunity to 'open the taps' on a stretch of road. The other two cars were a D2 S8 and a D3 S8, and the driver of the D2 admitted to having difficulty keeping up.

I'm currently running a 4.2 D3 and contemplating getting a conversion done on that as well.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th December 2018, 07:32 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Mine was a Prinz system and would start from cold on petrol but within a couple of minutes would switch to LPG. If the LPG ran out it switched seamlessly back to petrol. It was very slightly down on power but then if needed, press the button and you back on petrol.
On one of my trips to Germany it automatically switched to petrol at 150MPH!
I had a 200 ltd tank in the boot which would fill to about 180ltrs. If I needed I could do Edinburgh to Plymouth without stopping. ��
As they were business miles I ran a spreadsheet for fuel and it worked out my enthusiastically driven S8 was getting the financial equivalent of 37MPG. Bargain!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.

Previously
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Mine was a Prinz system and would start from cold on petrol but within a couple of minutes would switch to LPG. If the LPG ran out it switched seamlessly back to petrol. It was very slightly down on power but then if needed, press the button and you back on petrol.
On one of my trips to Germany it automatically switched to petrol at 150MPH!
I had a 200 ltd tank in the boot which would fill to about 180ltrs. If I needed I could do Edinburgh to Plymouth without stopping. ��
As they were business miles I ran a spreadsheet for fuel and it worked out my enthusiastically driven S8 was getting the financial equivalent of 37MPG. Bargain!
Yeah, mine operated the same way, though never got to a speed that it had to switch back to petrol

The tank I have is only 125 litres, and was under the impression at the time that it was the biggest they could fit in the space.

I like to use the 'financial equivalent' calculation, as you can shove it in the face of those that tell you that you're driving a gas guzzler... although strictly speaking, I suppose they are correct.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 6th December 2018, 10:05 AM

thanks guys who did your conversions?
Old 6th December 2018, 11:47 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Mine was a chap in Fareham, Hampshire. Cost nearly 3k at the time.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,

Previously
Old 6th December 2018, 01:05 PM

Mine was done by AGS in Craigavon, Northern Ireland, at a cost of £1,500. That was in 2013.

Old 7th December 2018, 03:04 PM

My D3 4.2 A8L was converted about 3 years ago at a cost of approx £850 at a company in the suburbs of Birmingham - its a hugely cheap area for buying LPG (averages about 50p /litre versus 68-70p / litre in the south and I think that the conversions are similarly cheap in that area! my tank is only something like 80 litres in the spare wheel well and i get about 260-280 miles from a fill, but still have petrol to fall back on too.

I've done something like 65,000 miles in 3 years an apart from renewing the odd lpg supply pipe or clip under the bonnet havent really had any issues with the system. the car starts mostly on petrol but always switches to LPG at about 70-75 degrees water temp upwards or if youve recently used the car then it starts fine on lpg.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs