A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th October 2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I'll be very interested to find a reversing camera that will fit D2 numberplate light well perfectly. Or perhaps to modify the number plate light itself to accommodate the camera.
I happened to be looking at the XCarlink web site today Goran and noticed they sell a number of reversing cameras integrated with boot handles and/or numberplate lights.
None are the right shape/size for a D2 but the way they work is to use a small LED in place of the larger filament bulb.
I'm pretty sure one of the many types they sell "could" be modified, probably by cutting down a bit and fitting onto a backing plate, to directly replace a D2 light. In general the newer ones that they supply alternatives for are not so "long" but a bit "wider". The A6 one looks pretty close. http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=25&page=1
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th October 2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 21st October 2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I'd suggest to order A4 marine stainless steel screws from eBay to make sure they won't rust in that area.
The fixing bolts aren't into the bodywork, they go into what look like brass nuts embedded in the rubber well nuts so there's no contact at all with the metal of the boot lid.
Nonetheless I'll check them after a while and see if there's any corrosion and take "appropriate action".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 21st October 2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
It's still doing this at times, when disturbed, so my repair isn't perfect. I'll have to do a "proper job" sometime, probably when I resite it to a better permanent location.
That was referring to the colour loss on the green signal wire.

Not wanting to rewire the (now botched) plug I bought the audio adapter pictured below which has the right 14-pin connector on it.
I was going to cut off the two big sockets and just "graft/solder" it on to the loom (in place of the botched connector) but I'm wondering if I can buy plugs that fit those two sockets, anyone know what they are called? The actual cable is sold as "Kenwood Car Radio Stereo 14 Pin Molex Type Wiring Harness Loom Old Version ISO" so they may just be specific to old Kenwood equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	14814  
Old 21st October 2016, 10:27 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attachment copy.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	14815  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 21st October 2016, 10:33 AM

Many thanks Matty, so I need one of these now:
(might seem a bit complex but it will also add a bit of extra length to the loom which I really need)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Connector.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	14816  
Old 25th October 2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
It has a lead to a button for "video while moving" that seems to need to be "on" anyway for the reversing camera
OK, this doesn't seem to do anything useful; as I proved today, reversing at anything above walking pace cuts out the camera with the standard safety warning, whatever I do with this equipment.
So can anyone point me at the "real" VIM solution for RNS-D please.
Old 26th October 2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
So can anyone point me at the "real" VIM solution for RNS-D please.
Rummaging around online I've found various comments about cutting the GALA signal, either permanently or temporarily with an override switch, and it's the latter I'd want.
But then there are references to two different connections on the back of the RNS-D.
1. The clearly-identified GALA on an 8-pin connector (pin 1?)
2. A pin on the 26-pin connector, possibly #5, which seems to be marked DFA_L on diagrams I've seen. (there's also a DFA_R)

The Kufatec loom to do the job just seems to have 8-pin connectors (see picture) so I'd guess the switch on that just interrupts the first one.
I could buy one as they are not expensive, but unless access to the loom is really tricky it's an easy DIY wiring job. And I prefer not to add even more wiring and bulky connectors into an already-congested area behind the RNS.

Edit: Found the following, which sort of makes sense:
5 connection rear left speed sensor in dash panel wiring harness
17 connection reverse light in dash panel wiring harness
18 connection rear right speed sensor in dash panel wiring harness
Though whether those signals exist and what the RNS-D does with them is anyone's guess..............
(Could be for features not yet developed or not used on a D2, RNS-D not being that specific, or more likely for the SatNav)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KufatecVIM.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	14835  

Last edited by HPsauce; 26th October 2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 26th October 2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The Kufatec loom to do the job just seems to have 8-pin connectors (see picture) so I'd guess the switch on that just interrupts the first one.
I could buy one as they are not expensive, but unless access to the loom is really tricky it's an easy DIY wiring job.
Just had the RNS-D out and that particular bit of loom is one of the shortest and tightest I've ever seen.

Can't be bothered to take the glovebox out and side panel off to get at it, so Kufatec it is! (£25 delivered)

Edit: Out of stock at UK distributors, back-order from Germany, hopefully less than 2 weeks.

Last edited by HPsauce; 26th October 2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 1st November 2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Edit: Out of stock at UK distributors, back-order from Germany, hopefully less than 2 weeks.
Much less, arrived today.
And checking connections it was pin 1 that the loom opens/closes, so:
Quote:
two different connections on the back of the RNS-D.
1. The clearly-identified GALA on an 8-pin connector (pin 1?)

2. 26-pin connector, Found the following, which sort of makes sense:
5 connection rear left speed sensor in dash panel wiring harness
17 connection reverse light in dash panel wiring harness
18 connection rear right speed sensor in dash panel wiring harness
I reckon the GALA on the 8-pin is probably used simply to adjust volume and cut off the TV.
And the SatNav will use the information from the 26-pin connector.

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st November 2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 4th November 2016, 01:56 PM

I've just noticed a really stupid feature of the Kufatec loom.
The operating button (mine is round, not square as in the photo) has a nut and spring washer for securing it from behind (through a mounting hole), already fitted. Saves them getting lost presumably.

But it is of course impossible to fit that way without cutting the cable to the switch, the button has to be inserted from the front! So why didn't they put a small connector in that (2-wire) part of the loom, small enough to feed through a mounting hole and to slip the nut/washer over. Or provide a fixing that you attach and tighten from the button face side? So much for German attention to detail!

As it happens I'm using a different switch so it's not an issue for me as I need to cut that wiring anyway.