A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 12th June 2015, 06:01 PM

Default Oxidised centre caps

Before:

After:

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 12th June 2015, 06:11 PM

Looking good, but I have 2 questions:
1. What did you do to clean it up?
2. What exact part number is that centre? (I may have some unwanted ones going spare for beer money)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th June 2015, 06:50 PM

I tried to no avail to clean them up. The aluminium rings were too oxidised, and when abraded, went 'funny'. I think that's the technical term.

I bought some Chinese knock off centre caps, but the quality was awful, so I swapped the aluminium rings over. Boom! Won't last as long as the OEMs I'm sure, but I may lacquer them sooner rather than later.

The part number is on the backs of them, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edit: 4B0 601 165 A

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 12th June 2015, 06:56 PM

"but I may lacquer them sooner rather than later."

Do that ASAP, it's the salt in winter (or acidic wheel cleaner if that is used) that ruins them. I'm on my third set of Aliexpress specials, so clearcoated the edge-rings on latest ones.
Old 12th June 2015, 07:03 PM

The wheels posted are my winter wheels and suffer the same fate, I got some Chinese knockoffs for them and they have lasted on winter and now look ruff again, being winters though I can deal with it.

Looks a massive improvement over before though
Old 12th June 2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
4B0 601 165 A
Yes, that's what I have, four cheap Chinese copies complete with Audi logo and part number 4BO 501 165 A and "Made in Germany" which they clearly weren't.

I bought them ages ago for some wheels I no longer have, and they were the wrong sort anyway.
So I butchered the plastic on the back of one (outer lugs only) to try to get it to fit, but it still didn't.

So if you, or anyone else, wants them for beer money and postage just let me know.
Edit: As well as the missing plastic on the back one is also missing the metal spring clip retaining ring.
(I think I may have mentioned them before either here or on another forum, but no takers)

The metal rim should come off with care (I've done this on similar rims without problems to refurbish them) and the inner 4-rings emblem pops out easily. The emblem is plastic though on OEM centres is probably metal.
I found the metal ones clean up well with bathroom descaler.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th June 2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12th June 2015, 08:19 PM

Originals are just better quality chromed plastic, or they should be anyway as 99% sure my caps on the 19" alloys where originals.
Old 18th June 2015, 04:35 PM

Prepped and lacquered. No doubt they'll still oxidise in time. One of those jobs that will in no way reflect the time and effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	545.9 KB
ID:	11085  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Last edited by Johnmed; 18th June 2015 at 05:10 PM.