A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 18th April 2016, 10:52 PM

Default Any Audi S8 D2 Owners using as daily car?

I've owned mine now for 5/6 months, and love it to bits

Its used as my daily, not massive mileage going on but gets used nearly every day although slightly dated in looks department it doesn't bother me at all tbh, the power and ride quality is still perfect in my book
Old 18th April 2016, 11:15 PM

Jim should be along shortly...
Old 19th April 2016, 05:44 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Yep, here he is!

Just over 70 miles a day on my commute, and around 20K miles a year, and love most of it (except when the traffic is s**t on the M8, but I leave really early to avoid it). I've been using D2 '8s as a daily driver for around 7 years or more.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 19th April 2016, 08:37 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Similar to Jim here. Had my D2 S8 for about 6 years and I've owned D2 '8s (all 4.2 V8s) for probably 11 or 12 years now, all as daily drivers.

Unlike Jim though, I don't have a daily commute to do, but my D2 is used in my daily business as an IT support tech, for which it serves the purpose perfectly. It's reliable, gets me to IT emergencies quickly, comfortably and in style and it has a huge boot, big enough to carry the deepest of rack-mount servers. The majority of my work is done remotely these days, so I don't do huge mileage and quite often my D2 isn't moved for days at a time but, except for the occasional surprise leak, I can always rely on it to get me to jobs when the need arises.

Cars, like a lot of things, seem to go through desirability phases as they age; desirable because they're new or desirable because they're very old and rare. Then there's that bit in the middle when they're just 'old'. Where the '8s are rare cars to begin with, especially the S8s, I think they enter that retro-desirability phase earlier than most cars. Now that the 8 has moved on a few generations and there are very few D2s left on the road, I think they're really beginning look distinctive again. I've had more passing comments and complements about my S8 in the last year or so than I've had in the 6 years I've owned it.

The downside of course is parts availability and running costs. I prefer to replace parts with new, where possible, and I have noticed in the last year or two that new parts have become more expensive and harder to find. Because of this I have stockpiled some parts and had various preventative maintenance work done in the hope that it will enable me to continue to use it as my daily driver for a few more years at least.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 19th April 2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 19th April 2016, 08:55 AM

I drive my D2 daily.
Edit: But it is A8, not S8

Last edited by notorious; 19th April 2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 19th April 2016, 09:13 AM

Used mine as daily for quite a while and did decent mileage in it. As said, downsides are running costs and repair costs should anything go wrong but the latter didn't worry me too much.

Definitely a cool old school car that still looks great!
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 19th April 2016, 09:14 AM

Mine is also my daily and love the comfort. The main reason for getting the 8 was for the extra space and neither herself or I like MPVs. She likes saloons and I like fast Audis!

I have an issue at the moment that my commute is about 2 miles but it's a major road without a footpath else I'd probably walk! Moving house soon though so will be cycling in the future and keeping the 8 more for pleasure.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 19th April 2016, 01:24 PM

Yep, school runs, commute, shopping, spirited drive in the county and when clean and shiny doesn't look out of place at any car show.

It does everything really well.

If only I could afford a supercharger for it, I'd be really happy (probably).

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 19th April 2016, 01:29 PM

Its good to know im not the only one then! and there are others like me, i see so very little on the roads these days thought i was the only one
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 19th April 2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS6 View Post
Its good to know im not the only one then! and there are others like me, i see so very little on the roads these days thought i was the only one
Well, according to the DVLA there are only just over 300 on the road with about 110 SORN.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicl...2_quattro_auto
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)