A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 21st August 2009, 11:19 AM

Default Arghhh- Dealers

Hi there,

Alas my trusty beast has let me down...I run on LPG and due to a couple of niggling power faults draining the battery, the petrol guage has been wonky. (1/4 tank to 0 after loss of power etc).

Anyway Wednesday night went out, ran fine. Got some more LPG on the way home. Started ok. Got home. Went to bed. Thursday morning and it was troublesome to start and when it did ran very lumpy. 6-700rpm max and stopped. Tried a few times to start but no joy. Presumed lack of petrol. Walked to garage got a 5l can and filled it up. Back home and started lumpy and cut out. Left it a while. tried and it just turned over and wouldn't start at all. slight ticking noise.

Today bit the bullet and rang audi. Told they can't recover. Would help if i got it there 30mins at £35+vat, hour at 70+vat. Gave me a number of recover place.

£45 later and my car is at Audi Huntingdon. All of a mile and a half away but the recovery people were in cambs, so not a bad deal. Was quoted £60+vat from another closer company !

At Audi, quoted 2hrs at £85+vat each and that it'll be late on in the day so it may not be running at all today. take it or leave it....What a swizz.

Still with a non running car your stuck....wished i'd have gotten the name of the guy on the phone as the guy in the office claimed he couldn't find who i'd spoken too and he was giving me a good rate as on an S8 its normaly 105+vat an hour.

Feel somewhat irritated and anoyed, but also stuck.

cya,
Lee
Old 21st August 2009, 06:46 PM

Default DON'T use Vindis Audi HUNTINGDON

Hiya,

It gets worse....Much worse !!!

Arround three i hadn't heard anything so started to chase. Put a call in for a ring back. Nothing 4:15 i called again and got through. They had suposidly spent almost the 2hrs diagnosing the fault and belived it to be the fuel pump. However since the LPG tank was in the way they could not do anything about it. The guy initialy said he had yet to cost the fix, but later said they they could not remove the LPG tank.

I went to pick up the car with a local LPG mechanic and was charged the full two hour rate at £195.50 for a piece of paper and a lift home. Looking under the bonet i can't see anything moved or changed. The boot had been opened as a couple of bits had been moved, but not much. They had not atempted anything past Ooooh there is an LPG tank in there guv.

They could have checked the fuel pump by seeing if there was fuel at an injector, but nope.

The only good thing is i've found a nice seemingly savvy LPG menchanic who helped push and toe the car to his garage and has already lent me a car for the weekend. Audi never offer.

I can happily say that Huntingdon Audi will never get any of my business again and will be getting a letter of complaint. This story may also make its way round the net. As i am completely discusted.

Cya,
Lee
Old 21st August 2009, 08:59 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

The galling thing is that you don't go anywhere near the the fuel pump to test it. You just remove the fuse in the drivers side foot well and test the circuit for voltage and amperage. That will tell you all you need to know about it!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 22nd August 2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
The galling thing is that you don't go anywhere near the the fuel pump to test it. You just remove the fuse in the drivers side foot well and test the circuit for voltage and amperage. That will tell you all you need to know about it!
.............. why should they know that?!
TBH, I know its not a laughing matter. I delt with Audi Bristol when i had (suposedly 2, but i think just 1) coil packs go down on me.

6 hours to diagnose (they only charged me for 2 once i complained) when I had already told them what the fault was.....
.... Im not merchanical myself my mate is however. He told me what the problem was and i told audi. He was spot on. It them took them 4 days to get the parts and fix it. Luckily my mate put me up for the week (i had already stayed a night with him on the monday.)
'72 Mini Pick up Supercharged 1380
'03 S4 Avant
Old 24th August 2009, 09:57 AM

Hi There,

Conan - The fuse test isn't in the audi manual or something is it ???

If so do you have a copy.....It would be nice to point at if its official audi stuff as i don't think the engineer really knew the a8/s8 - The ash tray was open....yet there is a dangling odbc port under the dash - I left it off from hifi stuff as i've yet to wire in the car kit.

cya,
Lee
Old 24th August 2009, 10:25 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Lee,

Yes it is. I will try to find the text for you. It is in ERWIN, so next time I log in I will DL the process and post it here.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.

Previously
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:40 AM

Hi Conan,

Oooh. Please do. It would be nice to show that that haven't even done thier job properly by AUDIs standards.

Ta,
Lee
Old 24th August 2009, 11:11 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Ere Tis,

Requirements for test:
Battery voltage not less than 12.7 V
Fuse S1 OK (in fuse box, blue fuse carrier ST4)
Fuel pump relay OK (on central electrics unit in electronics box; passenger's footwell, relay position 6).

Testing:
Fuel filter OK
Ignition switched off

Checking voltage supply

Remove fuse holder cover in driver’s footwell
Pull fuse No. S1 out of fuse carrier ST4 in fuse box.
ST4 - blue fuse carrier
Connect jumper lead with momentary switch to lower terminal of socket for fuse No. S1 in fuse carrier ST4 -arrow 1-.
Connect clamp to positive battery supply (e.g. socket of 60 Amp fuse -arrow 2- at top of fuse box).
Press remote control switch.
Pump should start running audibly.

Note:
The fuel pump runs very quietly. Where possible, avoid noisy surroundings for this test. If necessary, perform the test with a 2nd mechanic.

If pump does not start running:

Remove cover for fuel gauge sender and fuel delivery unit (right side) under floor covering in boot -arrows-.
If pump does not start running:

Remove cover for fuel gauge sender and fuel delivery unit (right side) under floor covering in boot

Release 4-pin connector -arrow- and unplug.

Connect multimeter (voltage range) between contacts 1 and 4 of connector.
Specification: approx. battery voltage
If the specification is not obtained:

Locate and eliminate open circuit using current flow diagram:

If the specification is obtained, even though the fuel pump did not run:

Remove fuel delivery unit
Check if the electric wires between flange and fuel pump are disconnected or broken (test continuity).
If no fault is detected in the wiring:

Fuel pump is defective. Renew fuel delivery.

Testing current draw

Test requirement:

Supply voltage for fuel pump OK

terminal of socket for fuse No. S1 in fuse carrier ST4 -arrow 1-.
Connect clamp to positive battery supply (e.g. socket of 60 A fuse -arrow 2- at top of fuse box).
Connect multimeter with current clamp to connecting lead for remote control switch.
Measure the current draw of the fuel pump.
Specification: approx 8 A
If the specification is not attained:

Note:

If the indicated current draw is 4 amps, this means the fuel pump is running dry (without fuel).

Meter reading---------------- Cause of fault------------------------------------- Rectification
approx. 4 A -------------------- Tank empty --------------------------------------- Fill up with fuel
------------------------------------ Fuel delivery unit incorrectly installed ---- Check installation of fuel delivery unit
----------------------------------- Baffle housing leaking -------------------------- Perform leak test on baffle housing
------------------------------------ Fuel gauge sender 2 incorrectly installed - Check installation of fuel gauge sender 2

0 A ------------------------------- Fuel pump defective -------------------------- Renew fuel delivery unit

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RMImageAction.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	420  

Watch it if you dare

Currently,

Previously