A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 14th June 2018, 02:06 PM

Default EPB stuck on. Stranded. Happy days.

Near side EPB has given up and thrown the anchor down. Waiting for the AA currently. Tried cycling it and have no tools with me to pull the motor off/wind it.

Oh the joys. Not like I’m at work or anything....

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 14th June 2018, 02:26 PM

One of the tools in the boot lid is apparently for emergency release of the EPB. Be careful with the widow maker jack. Disconnect the electrical connection before hand and get the AA to secure the cable as not to damage it when you're back driving. I think you remove the two bolts to free the motor off the caliper with this tool and then wind back the piston. The two bolts and the drive spindle share the same hex pattern so only one tool.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 14th June 2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 14th June 2018, 04:07 PM

Cheers Matt. AA fella wound it back. I’ve tried to source a motor, as the caliper is fine. Can’t find a motor alone, our sponsors kindly gave me the part number:4e0998281b.

But they cost a lot on eBay, more than a refurbed caliper and motor from Euros.

Anyway, does anyone happen to know if an A6 Allroad’s motor would fit?

The part number is very similar, 4f0998281b. I’m tempted to have a punt....

Only stumbling block I can see is the wiring layout inside the connector is different.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Last edited by Johnmed; 14th June 2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 14th June 2018, 05:06 PM

Going by the illustrations in ETKA, they both look identical, but don't give dimensions. Looking on eBay however, the one for the A8 shows it with a short cable attached, whereas the one for the A6 just has a connector. I see what you mean by the cost difference, £270 for the A8 versus £29 for the A6.

Are you thinking of a straight swap or transplanting A6 motor into your current A8 casing?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th June 2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Going by the illustrations in ETKA, they both look identical, but don't give dimensions. Looking on eBay however, the one for the A8 shows it with a short cable attached, whereas the one for the A6 just has a connector. I see what you mean by the cost difference, £270 for the A8 versus £29 for the A6.

Are you thinking of a straight swap or transplanting A6 motor into your current A8 casing?
Hi mate. I was thinking transplant the internals. Or if I could sort the wiring, avoid that. Maybe I’m mad.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 14th June 2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Hi mate. I was thinking transplant the internals. Or if I could sort the wiring, avoid that. Maybe I’m mad.
Ah, wasn't sure about that previous wiring comment. Silly me thought that Audi would keep the wiring the same.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 14th June 2018, 05:31 PM

Ha.

Wiring seems different, but I’ve taken a punt on a 6 toothed A6 Allroad motor. Maybe I can cobble the two together, orrrr create a nice paperweight!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 14th June 2018, 06:31 PM

Will be interesting to see if you can get it to work, and how much work it involves, especially with the price of the D3 variant.

Old 14th June 2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Will be interesting to see if you can get it to work, and how much work it involves, especially with the price of the D3 variant.
Its probable that I won’t be able to get it to work, but I think it’s worth a shot. My brother in law likes to tinker with electrics so maybe I’ll rope him in.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 14th June 2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
One of the tools in the boot lid is apparently for emergency release of the EPB. Be careful with the widow maker jack. Disconnect the electrical connection before hand and get the AA to secure the cable as not to damage it when you're back driving. I think you remove the two bolts to free the motor off the caliper with this tool and then wind back the piston. The two bolts and the drive spindle share the same hex pattern so only one tool.
All good advice Matt. I couldn’t see that tool, but I’ve previously wound the nearside caliper and could’ve again if I’d had the tools.

The AA man was a star. Patient, methodical and did everything right while having a chat. Got to drive the car and show my face at work again.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56