A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th June 2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Yep TPS confirmed £122.50 +VAT so £147!

Going to see if mine can be repaired before splashing out
Just a question about TPS, the one in Norwich are going to close the Trade Cash Account so can't get any discount unless you're a bona fide garage with an account. They said it was a VW decision who are trying to get non trade people, like myself, to use the main dealer. Do you have the same with your TPS?

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 20th June 2018, 09:16 PM

Mine is Coventry and they haven't mentioned anything at all. I know some TPS branches will not serve anyone unless they are in the trade/have an account.

I'm going to ask next time what is required and see if I can come up with the appropriate paperwork

Bit silly to close the Cash Account, just reduce the discount to retail and job done.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 20th June 2018, 09:32 PM

Exeter TPS won't serve anyone without an account now either - they just send them to the relevant dealer. They've had notices up for ages but are being quite strict about it now.
Old 21st June 2018, 09:47 AM

My local one are fine with me buying over the counter - they couldn't be much closer to the nearest VW dealer either!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 21st June 2018, 09:30 PM

I went again today to pick up the 'owing' parts and the manager asked me if the S8 was mine and then came out to have a look and told me how much he loved the V10. He loved the car and we had a good chat about cars. I should have asked him if there were any proposals in the pipeline about closing cash accounts, will do next time/ Might bribe him with a blast in the S8 lol.

We have Audi, VW and SEAT dealers here locally. In fact, TPS used to be located behind the SEAT dealership but have now moved. I wonder if anyone used to use the SEAT dealership for parts?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 26th June 2018, 07:44 PM

Just to update the thread, I managed to get the shield repaired. After going to the bodyshop I didn't even think that the shield was aluminium and so needed an aluminium welder. After trying a couple of local places I was put in touch with a guy who said drop it off I'll give it a go. A few hours later he called me and said it was done for the handsome sum of £30, saving me £120! I drilled the holes myself, tidied it up a bit and all was good.

The brakes were as simple as our A6, just being more careful of course. Result

A couple of pics attached prior to tidying up and drilling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3199.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	19629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3200.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	19630  

Last edited by homer simpson; 26th June 2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 20th July 2018, 04:01 PM

Well believe it or not, the FRONT shield has deteriorated in exactly the same way.

Looking at the ceramic set up and reading up on ELSA, it seems you remove the carrier bolts and simply pull the whole assembly off. Is this correct? Has anyone removed their front calipers?
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Mine is Coventry and they haven't mentioned anything at all. I know some TPS branches will not serve anyone unless they are in the trade/have an account.

I'm going to ask next time what is required and see if I can come up with the appropriate paperwork

Bit silly to close the Cash Account, just reduce the discount to retail and job done.
Well about a month ago m local TPS also decided to go Trade only and put signs up on the door stating retail customers need to go to their local dealer. They did allow me to collect parts as a one off. So, I went back a week later with some documentation, account opened and everyone (especially me) is happy!
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:41 PM

Good stuff
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:57 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
So, I went back a week later with some documentation, account opened and everyone (especially me) is happy!
What documentation/proof do they require? Is it enough to be a 'business customer' or do they require that you are an automotive business customer?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust