A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 23rd September 2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
What documentation/proof do they require? Is it enough to be a 'business customer' or do they require that you are an automotive business customer?
You do need to be in the trade so automotive. A business card and letterhead (or something with registered address) is sufficient.

Nothing stopping you getting a few printed and opening an email address if you know what I mean
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 16th December 2018, 12:45 PM

I replaced my backing plate some time ago. It was an eye-waveringly expensive £300 for the part. When I picked it up, I realised why, it weighs next to nothing.

Thankfully, it doesn't require the hub or anything to be removed, it just bolts on behind the disc. I was very, very careful handling the disc and refitting the wheel.

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th December 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
I replaced my backing plate some time ago. It was an eye-waveringly expensive £300 for the part. When I picked it up, I realised why, it weighs next to nothing.

Thankfully, it doesn't require the hub or anything to be removed, it just bolts on behind the disc. I was very, very careful handling the disc and refitting the wheel.
Yes stupidly expensive, although the rears are about half the price

Mine had disintegrated around the securing holes and I was lucky to find a decent aluminium welder locally. He welded some aluminium discs in the holes and they are back on the car. Cost? 1/10 of what a new shield would cost.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 16th December 2018, 01:24 PM

I saw that on your other thread on the topic. What a great idea! I'm glad it worked out for you.

I made sure I used plenty of assembly grease around the bolt holes to try and minimise future corrosion. Like yours, my disc retaining bolt stripped. I have a replacement but I haven't fitted it yet.

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th December 2018, 01:36 PM

My TPS used to put mine through as random local taxi firms. Latterly they just said Trade Cash on the invoice. I haven't been since the spring though, maybe they have banned ordinary civilians too. Thanks for the heads up - will have to set up a business for the missus.

I have never seen these wheel tommy-bars before so will look into those.
Good luck with the disks/backing jobs. Thanks.