A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st July 2018, 11:54 PM

Default Dreaded air suspension fault - FIXED

I have a problem with the front end being far too low.

Started the other weekend, driving about fine for a while, then it scraped abit on a speed bump that it never usually does. Driving home it felt funny, I park up and the front is very low.

In the morning I scan it and it throws 3 faults, leak detected and then switched compressor off due to over temp etc. Then the dash warning lights come on.

Jacked it up and remove left side arch liners, compressor comes on and off, I spray soapy water over shock and visible lines and the valve block, no bubbles.

Dash lights don't come and go after doing this, depends what you ask it to do, but front is still low.

The rear is fine. When in lift mode the rear goes up.

Front is evenly low, not just one corner.

I lowered the car about 3 years ago, about 15-20mm, wasn't much and had no problems since.

Anyone had similar problems? Read up there's a relay to change but would rather some input before I just throw parts at it.

Cheers

Last edited by Derek29; 22nd September 2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:21 PM

Theres a 30A fuse and relay in the panel under the passenger footwell area and you are advised to change both first for the cost. Otherwise you could have a small leak in either one of both front airbags, I have replaced one of mine with a second hand one. if they are leaking enough then the air compressor times out due to overheat and eventually it will wear the compressor out quicker than it would normally wear. Failing that also check the levels sensors, as one faulty sensor can make a corner go down or up and then the other corner tries to match it . . . .

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:22 PM

Just bought a new relay.

If the compressor wasn't working properly surely it would be low at the rear as well? It does still come on and go off when you jack it up. Isn't the quietest thing ever but these things aren't usually
Old 5th July 2018, 10:06 PM

Relay replaced, still the same, all fuses ok.

Just bought a rebuild kit from "bagpipingandy"

Who would have thought that (hopefully) the fix for my American compressor on my German car would be from a guy 200miles away in my home country Scotland!
Old 27th August 2018, 05:46 PM

An update:

Fitted a new piston ring to the compressor, a lot different getting it out of the w12 arch than other engines as I've found.

Fired up and didn't sound as narly as before, rear lifted up in lift mode, but now im hearing a hissing noise, almost like a boiling kettle, within the left front strut.

Im thinking the bag has a hole/split.

Best place for a replacement? There isn't any fluid at the bottom suggesting the damper is ok use again.
Old 27th August 2018, 05:55 PM

Nothings simple with these old girls.

I’ve heard good things about these suppliers, prices seem good too:

https://aerosus.co.uk/audi/a8-d3.html

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 28th August 2018, 01:01 PM

Brilliantly engineered and put together. I work in a body shop and strip down a lot of different high and low end cars and nothing comes close to Audi’s of this age. Even th new ones are simpler and some what more vw.

That site seems to be coming up a lot in searches, justifiably price for a pair from them so guess I’ll have to bite the bullet!
Old 22nd September 2018, 07:57 PM

So I fitted two new Aerosus front air bags and all is well.

Followed the video on youtube on how to separate the bag from the damper.

One of the pinch bolts decided to snap so I had to dill it out! Also replaced the upper control arms with Meyle HD items while it was in bits as the rubber bushes looked abit tired.

All in I was about £633 for the compressor rebuild kit, air bags and arms.
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:16 AM

Wow. That’s a decent price. How does she ride now, like new?

Control arms are on my list of things to do.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 27th September 2018, 12:49 PM

Rides well, I took the advice of a previous thread about driving in dynamic mode for a while to let it calibrate itself, although I may do this again as I still need to scan and clear historic codes despite there being no dash board lights.