A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 14th February 2019, 11:21 AM

Default Power steering burst!

Hi There,

All go with the car at the moment!
Yesterday i was heading into work, just off the motorway and on a back road that parallels the A1, noticed a smell and dark smoke!!!
Pulled into a bus stop to have a look. Popped the bonnet and saw something from the back of the engine. Couldn't see anything obvious and I was about a mile from work and my local garage on my industrial estate.

Started up, slightly odd noise, nursed the car to the garage and the steering was HEAVY so that was odd. Got there and had a quick look, fluid underneath and suspected issue with the power steering and fluid getting on the engine/exhaust (smoke).

Took things apart, bit of fluid in the PS and found an obvious leak. Hose 4E2 422891 G with a rip in the flexi part.

TPS £204+vat - What a joke! Ebay second hand, extra fiver for deliver tomorrow for £35ish will do a lot better. Probably quicker than TPS too!
Sometimes these places really do make you wonder!!!

Found my Jeep's MOT (back up, hardly used) had lapsed when I went to tax it yesterday so stuck in my dads 05 Bentley GT, life is hard

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 15th February 2019, 03:58 PM

Gosh, I hope it's not common. Have you seen the protective sleeve you can slide over them...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-5m-Nylo...e/302923897595
Not sure what size is correct
Old 15th February 2019, 10:32 PM

Seems to be quite a common failure on the D3's, mine failed exactly four years ago and I'm sure Delboy had the same failure on his D3 S8.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 18th February 2019, 01:15 PM

Hi There,

By the looks of it, it's something that can happen in a hydraulic power steering situation. I had topped the power steering fluid up because it had gotten low, though that was a few months ago and i'm guessing the leak slowly got bigger until it fully burst and to use the vernacular started p*ssing out!

The pipe has metal ends, but a pressure rated hydraulic hose in between and the split was in that. They have it because of the pulsing vibrations from the hydraulic system. I run a BIG hydraulic press at work and we recently changed from a fixed welded pipe to a flexible one because over years the vibrations crack the pipe. We were welding it every few years and even then the seal wasn't great. I'm guessing this is similar and whilst the hydraulic hose can split over time, it's mean time between failure is much lower and the pipe is a lot easier to fit because of it!

The car is an 2005 so 14 years and with 175,000 miles, so it isn't bad going!

It was still drivable, though VERY heavy, particularly at slow speeds, so you have to compensate and be sensible...run wide, take extra time etc.
Also running a low pump has a chance to run dry and burn it out
However it shouldn't totally strand you if it does happen!

Previous :

Also :
Old 18th February 2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
By the looks of it, it's something that can happen in a hydraulic power steering situation.
Do you think there was any scope for a hyraulic hose replair place to put new pipe on it - or is that something from the older days?
Old 18th February 2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Do you think there was any scope for a hyraulic hose replair place to put new pipe on it - or is that something from the older days?
The pipe has two metal ends. One has a knut, the other a banjo bolt type loop. The hydraulic pipe is crimped onto these ends. It's not far removed from agricultural type stuff. Assuming someone has the right size crimps and tools it's not actually that difficult a job to do, but I know some people worry about car stuff

A new bit of pipe would be cheap and easy, it's IF the crimps are the same size, and the person has the tools. I'd have investigated more, but.... I went down the ebay second hand route as £35 inc £5 extra for fast delivery was the quickest, easiest way to get my main car back on the road.

Previous :

Also :
Old 18th February 2019, 07:22 PM

Designation in Peterborough might be able to make one up, Kiowa in Sleaford another possibility at a later date.
I had to replace my air-con radiator last year, and noticed the power steering pipe is very close to some frame work. I should have protected it, but could find anything so left it. I might regret that.
Old 19th February 2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubadria View Post
Designation in Peterborough might be able to make one up, Kiowa in Sleaford another possibility at a later date.
I had to replace my air-con radiator last year, and noticed the power steering pipe is very close to some frame work. I should have protected it, but could find anything so left it. I might regret that.

You could sleeve it, but it would have to be close fitting to make much difference and how much difference it would make is another question.

Previous :

Also :
Old 19th February 2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Seems to be quite a common failure on the D3's, mine failed exactly four years ago and I'm sure Delboy had the same failure on his D3 S8.
I had it on my S8 after only 2 days of ownership! Pipe was (only) around £80 from TPS compared to the £204+VAT quoted by the OP for his model which seems like a bargain for an S8

I followed the DIY on here and did it myself rather than send it to someone who might want to take the engine out for it

The seller (Trader) obviously paid for it
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 20th February 2019, 04:31 AM

Thanks homer, I knew there were more than Del and I that had experienced this failure. His write-up on how to replace the hose is excellent

I can't find it under "D3 common faults" so maybe it's worthy of adding now?

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra

Last edited by Norretal; 20th February 2019 at 04:35 AM.