A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 18th April 2010, 09:25 PM

Default Exhaust's that make the right noises...

My S8 sounds a bit wet, the throbbing V8 caged... :P

Im looking to make it sounds a bit more like a V8, what would you lot recomend?

I want something that makes a lovely V8 burble as I roll by, but not setting off car alarms and making babies cry. When cruising on the motorway i dont want a constant drone, but on full throttle i want it to make propper spine tingling noises!

The obivous route is a milltek, but the costs are pretty high!

The stock S8 Tips are really nice (although mine need a polish), so somthing simular or atleast factory looking would be good.

What do you lot recomend? anyone one here got a milltek?

Thanks!
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 19th April 2010, 08:55 AM

Before you go for an exhaust, look at my 'need more noise' thread in the Engine section of this website. I drilled the air box and I'm very happy with that. Its doesn't drone and only makes a nice V8 noise when you boot and and a very subtle one when your driving about normally. Its been more then adequate for me and an exhaust has been nowhere near the top of my mods list because of it. I was very surprised.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 19th April 2010, 01:28 PM

Will take a look when I get home.

Drilling the air box would certainly be cheaper, but does it give that v8 burble at idle?

Thanks
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 19th April 2010, 01:31 PM

No, doesn't change the sound at all at idle. Defiantly worth a try though before you splash out.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 19th April 2010, 01:37 PM

Ok, well i have some big rubber grommets so there's no harm in popping 2 or 3 holes in the bottom of the box.

Will let you know how I get on!

Old 8th June 2010, 07:36 PM

I've looked and looked; checked all images and video clips for the D2 S8 on the net

I have decided on...

wait for it...

It is expensive, but by far the best sounding, innocent looking, drone free system I could find...

MTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuLVSnhEHow

OK, this is a supercharged car, but the system will sound the same, and they are highly regarded in the Audi tuning world.

MTM on an RS4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze0tZ...eature=related

I just need the car now

Last edited by jayzee; 8th June 2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Linky added
Old 27th July 2010, 11:44 AM

still on this quest!

Has anyone tried removing the back or mid box?

Old 27th July 2010, 07:04 PM

I personally wouldn't, but you could change the rear silencer for a straight through design. Without one of the silencers you will find the drone infuriating.

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 1st September 2010, 04:43 PM

Well, I've just ordered a full cat back Milltek system - being fitted next week

I'm like a child; I can't wait!!!

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 1st September 2010, 11:14 PM

Default exhaust

milltek all the way got one on mine sounds perfect worth every penny