A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 4th August 2010, 03:04 PM
a8xyr

Default Cat back system for a 4.2 V8

As an upgrade cat back system, what is best or does it not matter?

A) From the two cats two pipes into a double centre box and then two pipes into the double back box?

B) two pipes into two single center boxes and then two pipes onto a double back box?

I'm confused

my car is at http://www.powellsperformance.co.uk/for an exhaust at the moment. I was quoted £350 all in but got a call saying they didn't reliese when quoting the job the A8 was a twin pipe system so have now upped it to £500 all in but don't have any twin back boxes in stock.

The boxes Powells use come from http://www.eurosportexhausts.co.uk/Our%20products.html
Old 5th August 2010, 08:11 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Didn't know they were quoting for an A8? More likely didn't know what an A8 is! Keeping the twin pipes seperate maintains the V8 burble. The more time the pulse spend in a single tube the smoother the purrrr will be and the less like a V8 it will sound. A twin back box is a must imo. £500 is not unreasonable for a catback stainless system given the price of stainless atm.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:24 PM

This H pipe fitted as standard... was this incorporated into the design of the S8 to help them increase horsepower?

Conan, I'm guessing that having one kind of works against your description of the V8 sound as it blends the banks together - more so with an x pipe too?

Is this why the S8 4.2 sounds so different to the S4/RS4 4.2? They are really gruff by comparison.

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 5th August 2010, 09:41 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
This H pipe fitted as standard... was this incorporated into the design of the S8 to help them increase horsepower?

Conan, I'm guessing that having one kind of works against your description of the V8 sound as it blends the banks together - more so with an x pipe too?

Is this why the S8 4.2 sounds so different to the S4/RS4 4.2? They are really gruff by comparison.
The 'H' pipe smooths out the sound a bit as does the 'x' pipe. A 'X' pipe will also allow better scavenging in a fixed rev range. As a V8 dosn't fir all 8 cylinders in a symmetrical pattern it gives that V8 burble unlike 2 x 4 cylinders would. connecting the exhaust for a short length helps smooth the sound. This articles explains a lot.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.

Previously
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:24 PM

Cheers for the link Conan

So am I right in thinking the S4/RS4 4.2 has no link between the pipes then?

I heard one on full chat funnily enough today, and that 4.2 sounded nothing like my S8!

Yeah baby!!

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 9th August 2010, 04:25 PM
a8xyr

Just spoke to the garage they say the car will be finished tomorrow after having it for 7 days!!!

I asked the bloke on the phone to describe what they have done and he went and had a look and said from the cat back its twin pipe system all the way using FIVE twin entry & exit boxes in total.

FIVE???? seems a lot???????????

what are the implications of 5 boxes in total rather than say 3?

Thanks
Old 9th August 2010, 08:07 PM

would be interesting to see a pic of the underside if you can get one to see what they've done - also love to hear it of course!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 9th August 2010, 08:21 PM
a8xyr

will take a pic when i pick it up tomorrow and post tomorrow too

be interested to know what if any, the implications of having 5 boxes in total
Old 9th August 2010, 08:47 PM

If they are straight through silencers, then it'll only be quiet compared to some of the aftermarket systems available.

Yeah baby!!

Old 12th August 2010, 05:20 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

It's tomorrow plus 2. The suspense is killing me!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,

Previously