A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 11th September 2014, 08:16 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Anyone tried Kumho tyres?

I'm thinking of trying the Toyo Proxes on Marcin's recommendation, but have been offered a great price on Kumhos with a free accidental damage warranty.

Or the Pirelli P Zero at the same price as the Toyos.

Anyone got any experience of these?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 11th September 2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11th September 2014, 08:42 AM

Out of the three, I'd pick the one you like the look of the most..

Or if there's any difference in the wet weather performance, but apart from that, not a great deal in it, in my view.

I know.. I know..

Old 11th September 2014, 09:15 AM

I've tried Kumoh's Exsta SPT KU31 only because the guy who owns the tyre place for years and years and I always use him recommended them to me.
That was after he put them on him X5 and 3 series.
Before trying them out after his recommendation, weirdly I started noticing lots of big cars like new shape S-Class, BMs and others having Kumho's on
The story behind Kumho's is that it's a Korean tyre developed in UK for UK roads, so mix of dry and wet conditions with a push on good wet grip.

Plus each time before I go with new make of tyres I do read a lot reviews, but only the ones were are the details of the car they were fitted on and I was focusing only on reviews of people driving heavy cars.

I was happy with them.
But had no long run on them due to my lowered suspension which at the time was destroying tyres within 9months, so each time I was throwing away a set with plenty of grip outside and non on the inside and rears evenly worn with very little wear.

I was more happy with the Toyo Proxes T1 Sport. They are OEM on S5 and A6 plus I liked the softer compound on the outside for grip and harder on the inside for better steering.
They were really really good in wet, better than Kumho's, which are still good, not average, and actually I think I was happier with Toyo's than Michelins, especially noise.

I would go with Toyo's again

If you've been offered a smashing deal on Kumho's and you don't take tyres to their extremes than go for it, worst thing worst you will sell them off with plenty of thread for a fair price, with a loss of course, but if you will like them you may save yourself plenty of cash with this buy and future buys.

Don't know what are your standards, but you shouldn't be disappointed with Kumho's and you definitely won't be disappointed with Proxes.

I know that above is possibly not the best review, but it's how I see it.
1. Toyo or Pirelli
2. Kumho's
But 2nd doesn't not mean that they are bad

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 11th September 2014, 09:20 AM

Tyre wear, best 1st:
Toyo
Pirelli
Kumho

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 11th September 2014, 10:04 AM

I asked my mate Lewis, he said be careful with the Pirellis, he had a few rear blowouts with them at inopportune moments

On a serious note, both our cars only get one tyre now, Michelin Pilot Sports
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 11th September 2014, 01:06 PM

I thought you might have noticed Jim but mines on Kumhos (18" though) all round. Havent come off the road yet and they stop ok (and I do a lot of twisty turny stuff). They seem quiet and unless your are going to drive really hard I am sure they'll do you well
Old 11th September 2014, 03:45 PM

4 past cars have all ran Kumhos and always thought they was great.

Good in the wet, dry, speed and wear.

Highly recommend them.
looking at getting them for the 8 when I get round to it.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 11th September 2014, 05:59 PM

I've got Kumho tyres on the D3, I changed to them after having them fitted on the D2 as well. They grip well in the wet and dry, and wear really well. After 20K miles on the D2 they still had more than 4mm left.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 11th September 2014, 08:08 PM

To summarize, you won't be disappointed.
Not sure about the wear other experience, but I've notice higher wear when compared to Toyo's, but that also depends a lot from your driving style

What deal do they gave you on Kumho's??

Another thing about Kumhos is that since they came on the market people really were pleased with them and price went up by 40% within a year or so when I had them fitted for the first time and was looking year later to buy another set.

But, that could be down to the one supplier I always use

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 12th September 2014, 08:03 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Thanks one and all for your input on this. After reading your thoughts and loads of on-line reviews, I'm going to give the Toyos a try (cheers Marcin, I'd never even heard of them before).
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).