A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 29th May 2018, 05:12 AM

So no one went with the "put on sensible shoes" option, just run pell mellors straight into a replacement? Hmmmmmm 7k for for a D2 seems a bit steep.......... Mine is rather well spec'd and was waaaaaaay less a decade ago.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 29th May 2018, 07:05 AM

I, for one, am not here for sensible shoes

Almost any D2 can be rescued if you love it enough
Old 29th May 2018, 07:23 AM

It depends whether your car requirements have changed since you bought your D2, which might lead you to move to something else.

I sold my D2 as although I loved it, it didn't really 'work' for the weekend use I was putting it to. Loading it up with toy car racing stuff took careful planning and lots of additional protection of the back seat to avoid any damage. It was, frankly, a pain in the arse! I was petrified of it getting damaged and not being able to get new bits to replace trim, now almost everything is NLA from Audi and 2nd hand parts have often had a much harder life than my old car ever did.

Once I'd decided I could live with a change I decided to go for something much smaller to balance the fact that our S5 has similar interior space, similarly dreadful fuel economy, to the S8. The main thing I lost was quality and the option to carry a 5th person with ease.

I do love the Golf, but it's so anonymous compared to the S8 - i did get a compliment/enquiry about it at the council recycling site recently, but it doesn't get anything like the positive vibes the S8 always did

If I was in the market for a serious mile muncher with lots of space I'd be looking at a D4 S8 if it had to be a saloon.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th May 2018, 02:30 PM

I put on my sensible shoes and got rid of my A8 about 9 months ago and bought a Nissan Leaf.... Loving the virtually free motoring but missing the grunt of the A8. If only I could have the best of both worlds and be able to afford a Tesla...