A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st November 2017, 07:37 PM

Well, after looking at online suppliers, whilst they show good "headline" prices (around £3.50 each for Febi bushes) the (european) suppliers pile £8 postage and £3 "delivery charge" on top. TPS provide OEM bushes at £13.07 inc VAT for a pair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	17430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	17431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	17432  
Old 1st November 2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
i did wonder about the 27/28/29mm sizing. I measured the bar at 30mm using calipers and a ruler so probably over-estimated it. The bushes for the non-sports bar are all listed as 25mm so 1.8mm less than the actual bar size. Interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Well, after looking at online suppliers, whilst they show good "headline" prices (around £3.50 each for Febi bushes) the (european) suppliers pile £8 postage and £3 "delivery charge" on top. TPS provide OEM bushes at £13.07 inc VAT for a pair.
And you'll know they'll fit.
Thinking about the dia being slightly smaller dia than the bar, so I'm assuming because they're split, when done up they get squished / stretched together some the ends don't meet before clamping the bar.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 1st November 2017, 09:12 PM

I didn't even think to ask TPS about these
Old 1st November 2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I didn't even think to ask TPS about these
Yes, I just thought that I would give TPS a call. They had them in stock so picked them up when going into Glasgow
I hope they fit, Dezzy. I measured the bush inside diameter and they look to be about 26-27mm and I guess your hypothesis about stretching under compression and therefore they need to be smaller diameter than the ARB.
Old 1st November 2017, 09:40 PM

£2.59 each from Amazon! (plus £4.53 delivery from Germany)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st November 2017, 09:44 PM

Yes but it depends on what manufacturer you choose - Febi, Meyle were more than £2.59 etc plus many cheapos you have not heard of and THEN they (e.g. Autodoc.co.uk or buycarparts.co.uk NEITHER of which are in the UK!) hit you with unbelievable postage charges.
Old 6th November 2017, 03:30 PM

Despite the rain and cold, bit the bullet to finish this job off. Careful to follow instructions in service document, I am concerned about the final line up of the "C" shaped link, the anti roll bar and the track control link (arm). The Service Manual Running Gear page 81 clearly states that the connecting links have a "permanently fitted spacer disc" which must be fitted to the ARB end. From the drawing it appears that one of the bushes IS slightly thicker. However, the bushes on the Meyle links dont appear to any different at either end. On inspection of the old (original, AUdi) links there is no discernable difference on those either. This results in the links not being truly verticle with the result that the bushes are under strain. The photos below show both the old and new bushes in place and the lack of alignment is apparent in both.

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	17454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	17455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	17456  
Old 6th November 2017, 03:49 PM

I think the links were originally handed but at some point that spacer piece was removed and they became identical. The aftermarket seems to be fairly split on whether to put it on or not - when we did the suspension on the Trader's 8 we had two identical links with the spacer which both fitted the left of the car but not the right

I'll have a look at mine later. I'm not sure they're at such an angle like yours but its a while since I put them on, and mostly I only see them with the car in the air. I wonder if some alloy spacers on the bar would improve their service life?

Hmm looking at Etka they are handed for the A4 & A6, but never so for the A8, which explains why I have both in my spares pile I guess we could use the A4 links to reduce the angle, but one has to wonder why the A8 had different links in the first place since it shares so much else in that area

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 6th November 2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 6th November 2017, 04:21 PM

Thanks for that MJ, appreciate your views when you have had a look. I was just sorting through my washer jar to some up with some suitable spacers. I am sure that getting the links vertical and without the stress on the bushes will help. My old ones are pretty shot and it looks like being at an angle didnt help (tho' they have covered 111k!) Will need to sort this out tomorrow as its now dark here and cold and wet....