A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 3rd May 2018, 07:34 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
That was 2500 units in batch 1 (shipping date May 01-10) that was sold out in first day or two. There is no overall limit. I bought mine from the 2nd batch.

Ah, ok. That makes more sense. In that case, hopefully we can make a good profit before they flood the market with them.

I think I ordered from the first batch (though it hasn't been despatched yet).

I did receive an email today about a partial refund however. Did you receive one of these too?

Quote:
Thank you very much for your support towards Bitmain and our products.

This email is to inform you that we will provide compensation for the orders of our B3 miners that were purchased earlier at a higher price than the present batch.

Relevant orders:

Those who have purchased and fully paid for our B3 miner at the price of USD 2453 on our website (https://shop.bitmain.com/)

Compensation method:

Those who have purchased and fully paid for the B3 miner at the price of USD 2453 will be refunded the equivalent amount of USD578 in BCH (Bitcoin cash),

The exchange rate will be the real time exchange rate when the refund is credited into your account in around 1-2 months after the refund request is received by us.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 3rd May 2018, 09:10 PM

Only ordered it today at the reduced price of $1588 so no refunds, 1st batch shipping May 1-10, I bought from next batch shipping May 10-20.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 16th May 2018, 02:42 PM

Post Cloud Mining

Hi to everyone. Quite an interesting question here. What would you prefer: mine with Asic some Dash or Bitcoin, or use cloud mining with the same coin? BUT, provided that with cloud mining you have a 25% discount? I mean I would definitely avoid cloud mining and such a high discount makes me even more suspicious. Still, it might be true. this is the code I am talking about (http://hashflarecode.com/)
So, what do you think? Scam or not?
Old 16th May 2018, 05:31 PM

Call me old fashioned if you will but I prefer something I can hold in hand instead of long term contract with some company I do not know half way around world and pay for whole term upfront. They may be perfectly legit with good intentions but you do not know what will happen half year later, they may go bust or their government may force them to shut or move premises to another country increasing maintenance costs. I cannot remember which one it was but I remember one it was but there was one where maintenance costs in creases more than 3x as they moved, later were halved but still a lot more than at the beginning of contract. I would rather just buy the crypto and hold. Or if you want to invest in new emerging coins it might be an idea to buy some short term hashing power from NiceHash or MiningRigRentals but not cost effective for established coins.

8 history:
Old 18th May 2018, 08:40 PM

Default Antminer B3

Received B3 on Tuesday, it's surprisingly loud for 360W machine, louder than L3+ and I think even D3, somewhere between D3 and S9. Fans seem to run at constant speed, temps very low, around 30C board, 40C chips. Web interface does not show fan speed. Also small number of chips only 12 not 100+ like on other Antminers. Good news are that it does not care about fans being connected and keeps running with exhaust fan disconnected, this brings noise level down comparable to L3+ and does not increase temps. I think I will replace the fans with pair of these and should be enough cooling and low noise to keep in house https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1 if I decide to keep it long term. As it is running cool I was looking to see if it can be overclocked. There is a hidden 'Advanced settings' page http://IP_Adress/cgi-bin/minerAdvanced.cgi by the looks of it is autotune frequency like later models of S9. Apparently some people changing firmwares and using hidden page have overclocked their autotune S9s some even running 19TH/s+ with submerged cooling, but it did not seem to have any effect on B3.

As far as the profitability goes at launch it would have made 200+ BTM/day at a price over $1, at the moment it's a bit over 20 BTM @ $0.62 with about £0.1/day running costs, no section for them on MRR yet. So while not great it is still well above likes of S9 or L3+ especially when you take power costs in account.

Interesting fact also that Bitmains 1st gen AI chips turned out to be bust with sub par performance with them promising that 2nd gen will be on par with nVidia. That makes me wonder if they just found another use for their 1st gen AI chips in B3 and if nVidia chips could be used to mine Tensority algorithm with increased performance and if there is another more efficient Tensority miner with gen2 chips from Bitmain just around the corner. With B3 prices on e-bay being £2.5k+ I might try to sell ours and take a bit of profit as it only cost us £1227 all in including delivery and taxes at the BTC prices on the day of purchase and then maybe just buy some BTM with the profits from sale as the it is interesting and shows some promise with the backing Bitmain.

8 history:
Old 18th May 2018, 09:34 PM

On the GPU front it's been doing rather well with them pulling the weight lately as ASICS does not earn much more than electricity costs although I do belive there is a lot to give in future from LTC and ETH, not so sure about BTC.

Done very well with RX480/580 cards on CryptoNote-Heavy algorithm, had some 10 day contracts that netted £4/day/card. Even switched 1080Tis to CN-Heavy for a while but only did one rental as the prices dropped. If you are top of the game and follow new trends there are more money to be made but takes a lot of time as the new more profitable coins/ algorithms does not appear on calculators straight away if ever so you need to find it yourself with a lot of searching.

The first boost for CN-Heavy was from Haven about £3/card/day, then dropped to £2, then Loki brought it over £4. It has dropped now but still £2+ /day/card so still doing well.

Also ventured a bit in PHI1612 with 1080Ti on MRR mining LUX when not rented for a while then x16r mining RVN when not rented but x16r is very heavy on GPU with high power consumption and high fan speeds so as the prices dropped I switched back to Equihash. In the process I have expanded my portfolio now owning small amounts of LUX, RVN & HAV.

RX card prices have dropped with 580 around £250 and Vega 56 £450 so might be good time to buy. nVidia cars still a bit pricey with 1080Ti £600+

8 history:
Old 27th May 2018, 11:20 AM

Fan upgrade on B3 went well. I had already applied both firmware updates to my B3 to increase hashrate and to show fan speeds. It was running a bit warmer after updates and was 40-50C chip temps with fans going 4800-4920 rpm. Disconnecting exhaust fan did not have noticeable effect on temps but was running quieter. Changing fans to https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/LED-Co.../CO-9050039-WW ( I bought mine on Amazon a bit cheaper) has increased temps to 50-60C chip temps with ambient temp around 25C. Running only one of these fans does not make much difference to noise but temps go over 60C so best to run both. They are running at about 2000-2160rpm and are a lot quieter, it's hard to measure noise due to ambient noise and it seems PSU is now running louder than B3. I estimate it being about 60dB now so almost 4 times quieter than 75-80dB it was before. Fans are rated 37dB but it makes extra noise as air travels through the miner.The key for fan plugs is different so I had do cut off bits from fan plugs to make them fit. I also used shorter screws to make sure they do not touch anything inside.

Little rise in temps has not had any affect on hashrate and it's still hashing over 1000 H/s and warranty stickers are still intact as those are only on body screws not on fan screws.

8 history:
Old 27th May 2018, 05:45 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Fan upgrade on B3 went well. I had already applied both firmware updates to my B3 to increase hashrate and to show fan speeds. It was running a bit warmer after updates and was 40-50C chip temps with fans going 4800-4920 rpm. Disconnecting exhaust fan did not have noticeable effect on temps but was running quieter. Changing fans to https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/LED-Co.../CO-9050039-WW ( I bought mine on Amazon a bit cheaper) has increased temps to 50-60C chip temps with ambient temp around 25C. Running only one of these fans does not make much difference to noise but temps go over 60C so best to run both. They are running at about 2000-2160rpm and are a lot quieter, it's hard to measure noise due to ambient noise and it seems PSU is now running louder than B3. I estimate it being about 60dB now so almost 4 times quieter than 75-80dB it was before. Fans are rated 37dB but it makes extra noise as air travels through the miner.The key for fan plugs is different so I had do cut off bits from fan plugs to make them fit. I also used shorter screws to make sure they do not touch anything inside.

Little rise in temps has not had any affect on hashrate and it's still hashing over 1000 H/s and warranty stickers are still intact as those are only on body screws not on fan screws.
Pretty much exactly what I did. I disconnected one fan initially and ran it for a few days like that then replaced both fans with a pair of Arctic F12 PWM fans. Temperatures are typically around 50C now, peaking at about 65C.

I mined on Antpool intially and then on UUpool while Antpool sorted out their payment issues but now I'm back on Antpool since it seems a little more reliable than UUpool.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 5th June 2018, 02:36 PM

Got a post this morning about BITMAIN. Looks like they are offloading a *LOT* of their S9's, for quite a reasonable price. Probably because they're down on efficiency and not earning their electricity....As such i'm guessing we'll be due a better, faster bitcoin miner in a couple of months.

Must admit i'm not sure if I should be mining with mine any more

It's also bloody warm, so mining in the house / office is getting nasty....My s9 in the Garage is still OK but the S7's have been mostly off!

I still believe in crypto, but that market is hard....My portfolio keeps getting up to ~£1100 and then dropping back and doing the same with added coins

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 5th June 2018, 04:08 PM

I have to shut down the cat warmer overnight at the moment otherwise it gets far too hot in their room with the door shut. However, having opened the window in the spare room where the main rig is, the hot air going out of the upstairs window creates a rather nice incoming draught through the downstairs windows and actually cools the house down. I wasn't expecting that!

Nicehash announced Cryptonight Heavy support the other day so I had a play with that. Interesting the RX580s in the cat warmer run at exactly the same hash rate as V7 (~800H/s) so that one is earning a good 50% more than with V7. However, the Vegas only run at 1440H/s on Heavy compared to 1950H/s on V7 which is unexpected. The higher price of Heavy doesn't compensate for the reduced hash rate so the Vegas are staying on V7.