A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 30th October 2017, 09:24 PM

Default Winter wheels - softy southerners

Hi David,

Yes, we southerners don't know we are living with easy winters and virtually no snow! Mind, in 2010, we had a bad winter which prompted me to invest in my first set of winter wheels and tyres.

Cheers

Richard
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 9th November 2017, 01:51 PM

Gone for the full monty winters as I had a good one of these Nokians already on the spare OEM wheels I purchased.

Not getting stuck this year that's for sure (cue either 9ft of snow or none at all )

Old 9th November 2017, 03:22 PM

Three wheels on your wagon........
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th November 2017, 10:24 AM

I have Michelin Cross Climates on my Volvo and they're great. I did manage to get them to squeal once on a roundabout on a warm, sunny and dry day.

They've upgraded them to the Cross Climate+ now (annoyingly, a couple of weeks after I bought my last pair). I'm not sure of the difference.

They don't make them in a size suitable for my S8. I've considered winter wheels for it, but I need 19in to get over the ceramic brakes.

2008 Audi S8
Old 25th November 2017, 10:40 AM

I have a second set of wheels and tyres... Had winters on them both for a few weeks now. It is not just about snow and ice. Supposedly better water displacement and grip once the temp drops below 7 degrees. I do find I can get the power down better this time of year with the winter rubber compound.
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 25th November 2017, 11:56 AM

Down here in the proper Southern 'burbs we've had a few days below 7C but then an uplift into double digits, so I've held off swapping. Yesterday and today have consistently been below 7C and looks like it'll continue into next week so will be swapping the S5 onto its winter boots.

Although it saves the 20s on the S5 from salt damage nothing seems to protect them from the wife driving them into the bloody kerb. She always denies all knowledge, which may actually be true, but the kerb marks speak for themselves

Going to see if I can get them diamond cut as my local refurbisher has the kit now to do them - assuming having powdercoated in the past doesn't make it impossible.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th November 2017, 12:03 PM

Same here, the winter wheels will go onto the S8 as soon as I can get my mobile tyre fitter here.

As I think I may have mentioned before, the plan is to fit CrossClimates on the Volvo as and when tyres are needed; some way off at present.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th November 2017, 12:08 PM

Ordered a pair of new boots for the Golf GTI yesterday, but opted for Michelin PS4 on the basis traction is crap in the winter months anyway and I'd rather keep it in the garage and use the S5 in the worst of the weather.

Anything will be an improvement on the OEM Bridgestones, but still got 5mm on the other pair to wear down before it's wearing the Michelins all round. Only £100 a tyre delivered makes a nice change from buying 20s!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:50 PM

Working in a hilly part of Germany, got pretty surprised by the sudden snow and freezing temperatures last week. Last year I fitted winter tires to my OEM 20" S8 wheels but I managed to trash them in less than 4 months of spirited high distance commuting within the Netherlands. The temperature is simply to high there for winter tires. Also I went to the Polish mountains with them and couldn't fit snow chains between the fenders and tires. So the sudden snow last week motivated me to purchase a spare set of winter wheels and I managed to get my hands on a OEM 19" S8 wheels with the standard size winter tires as supplied by Audi. I need 19" because of the large brakes. These will fit the chains too when I decide to go back to the mountains. I thought the 19" would look tiny versus my 22" summer wheels but actually they look good.
Old 12th December 2017, 02:36 PM

I'm a little gutted that I decided to replace my tyres on the S8 with summer tyres about 2 months ago because I figured we would have a light winter (as previous years) however, as its well document all over the country, we've had a big dump of bad weather and its got me considering biting the bullet on a set of winter tyres and moving my summer ones off to storage so I can buy some new wheels in April (man-maths makes sense on this)

So, I've had experience of the Michelin Aplin PA4 before and they were mega, but, they are coming in at £261 each and having not long done 4 boots already, I'm struggling to justify that cost again on tyres 2 months later.

However, in my size and the 102XL rating required I am limited to what I can run - in price order:

- Nankang SV-3 Winter (Cant find anything about these online)
- Nokian WR A4
- Continental ContiWinterContact TS830P
- Hankook W320
- Pirelli Winter SottoZero W240
- Pirelli Winter SottoZero W270
- Michelin Pilot Aplin A4

Can anyone offer any experience on these tyres?