A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 5th April 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Andrew, I came across another site that sells only connectors for cars. Their website is as follows:

https://www.automotive-connectors.com/

CAUTION: They have lots!
Well found Sean.
That was a really good find, I'll spend hours on there.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 6th April 2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I’d simply ‘T’ into existing wiring for the new jets. .
Hope it makes sense
That makes sense of course, but I'm applying these principles (among others):
1. As far as possible leave the existing main loom alone
2. No open/exposed connectors under the bonnet as it's open to the elements

Making a break in the fly lead does add an extra joint in the leads but also gives flexibility to swap easily between the variants.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th April 2018, 12:00 PM

Appreciate that, but if you ever opened up existing looms you will see a lot of 'connections' right in the loom made in factory, so even factory looms are a bit messy. With availability of Certoplast it is possible to create a 'T' in the loom which is indistinguishable from the original factory wiring. I can assure you.
Even under bonnet and even wiring right near the engine. My wiring for Xenon level sensors, for washer water level sensor, radiator temperature sensor was not in good condition and it is possible to create quality repair that will be as good, if not better than factory wiring.
If you will ever need help to properly do wiring I can meet you and help doing it.
For experiments I would T from existing wires (not the heating elements for now, since they are not important at the moment) and I will use simple WAGO connectors to quickly connect and disconnect the washer jet. When solution will be identified, I'd solder in Audi native connector there, so that you'll have all options to connect: 1. Genuine washers 2. New washers 3. Both

Really looking forward to finding a contemporary, hi-performance washer jet that will point to proper windshield area without modifications to both scuttle panel and the washer itself.

Last edited by notorious; 6th April 2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 6th April 2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
With availability of Certoplast it is possible to create a 'T' in the loom which is indistinguishable from the original factory wiring. I can assure you.
Oh yes, I know that, I've done it myself and have a good supply of Certoplast.
Had to do it a while back to disable the auxiliary coolant pump on the current S8.
(Though now I know where the likely connector is I wouldn't need to on another S8)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th April 2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Thread in Russian of fitting skoda jets to D2 and modifying the podiums.
Brutal

http://as8.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=2588&start=50
Interesting, just had a look at that and their approach seems both brutal and unnecessary.
1. The Skoda parts are fan jets, look good.
2. Connectors look the same as Audi D2. Better.
3. Size looks VERY similar, I think there may be an easier way to fit them without modifying the panel.

I'm going to see if I can get a cheap pair to experiment with. Part number is 6Y0 955 986.

Edit: Alternative part number 5J0 955 986 available from China for £7 each. There are triple-jet and fan versions of these as far as I can see, not sure how the part numbers correspond.
If nothing else it will be probably the cheapest way of getting the connectors!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th April 2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 9th April 2018, 10:23 PM

Following with interest.

You should be given an award if you find jets that will fit podiums and can be adjusted to accommodate aggressive slope of those podiums.

Old 9th April 2018, 10:42 PM

I'm pretty confident the Ford Focus ones will have the correct angle, or be adjustable to it.
Not so certain about the Skoda ones as I've not got my hands on them yet, but I have some ideas that are a lot more elegant than the Russian solution!

Either way it's all coming from China so quite a wait now.
Old 10th April 2018, 08:41 AM

All good things come to those who wait

Old 10th April 2018, 10:22 AM

I wonder if they're the same ones as on a BA Falcon?
My missus' old Falcon had fan style spray nozzles.

If so, it'll be easy to find a set!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 10th April 2018, 10:41 AM

Falcon is Ford, so probably the same as the Focus.