A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 14th July 2015, 07:37 AM

Default Comfort Seats backrest plastic insert

Yesterday I spotted the plastic insert in the centre top of the drivers backrest which has been loose for a while has decided to part company from the seat, I am now left with a series of holes in the seat back and plastic part I cannot re-attach because the plastic clips have broken off.

Looking on ETKA I see that this part is available separately for not much money, question is how easy is it to fit the replacement. I Wonder if it just pushes in and clips into position.

Part number in question is 4E0 881 849 EC3
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 14th July 2015, 07:23 PM

There is a thread about this on another forum and its a nightmare to repair so the fix was to glue it back into place

Old 15th July 2015, 08:21 AM

Thought that would be the case, now to find a Glue that will bond leather to plastic.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 15th July 2015, 08:45 AM

Evostik or araldite, depending if it needs to flex or not.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th July 2015, 12:59 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Gorilla Glue should do it.

Or perhaps Gorilla Super Glue Gel.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 12th January 2019, 11:50 AM

I knew there would be a thread. This has happened to mine. The backing part is still inside the seat in the correct place, so I put a bit of glue in there to help it stay there. I would like to pop the broken off plastic pins out by pushing them out and then attach the new part with pins intact (you get three parts, the plastic strip, felt pad and backing part. Has anyone bought the part and what was the price? They are £40 on ebay!

May I take the opportunity to say what a bizarre and somewhat unattractive upholstery design compared to other Audi seats and other prestige marques.
The kind off loose baggy look pinned in with a plastic hairpiece is not acceptable for seats that were such an expensive option.
Digressing, look how lovely the virgin matt leather that was hidden is compared to the worn glossy look.

Attachment 20668

Attachment 20669

Attachment 20670

Attachment 20671

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 09:18 AM.