A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Everything Else

D4 - Everything Else Holding forum for all D4 banter until membership grows and we'll expand out

Old 25th February 2017, 10:25 PM

Default Tow bar retrofit

Hi all,

I can't find a definitive guide to fitting the electronic swivel tow bar on the D4 ... I have bought a tow bar and the button that resides in the boot.. but no idea what else is needed to get a nice oem install..

Can anyone help? I have no access to diagrams or anything and will gladly post a guide for my installation if anyone can offer any help

Thank you
Old 25th February 2017, 10:41 PM

Paul (PaulRsTaylor) fitted one to his D4, I'm sure he'll be along to help if he can... Maybe PM if he doesn't. It is such a s****y bit of kit!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 26th February 2017, 12:06 AM

Pages 226 & 227 of THIS DOCUMENT may help a bit hopefully
Electrical parts should be covered HERE on pages 85-90

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 26th February 2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 26th February 2017, 07:08 AM

Thank you, certainly helps with regard to fitting the bar itself.

Do you know where the towing module resides? If there is one of course.
Old 26th February 2017, 11:44 AM

For a pre-2014 car you need the following:
  • OEM tow bar (ebay.de)
  • Button (ebay.de)
  • "Trailer" ECU (p/n 4H0 907 383 C - ebay.de)
  • Kufatec Loom
  • Possibly an additional fuse strip if you want a full OEM install (Dealer)
  • Bolts (Dealer)

The ECU sits between the boot and the rear seat bench to the left of the ski hatch, kufatec supply outline installation instructions with the loom.

I can help with coding if you need it, but be aware that the coding will get reset when it goes to the dealer - easily reset or you if you can get a friendly dealer to add "KF7 - Coding for trailer hitch" to the PR codes for your car.

Post-facelift have different part numbers for the ECU, need a different loom and installation instructions, but the actual towbar and button are the same. I have a post-facelift ECU in the garage
Old 26th February 2017, 12:02 PM

Edited to say, physical install is a couple of hours labour - wiring is a faf and expect to spend some serious time in the boot of your car in very uncomfortable positions (as I did), or to have to remove the back seats to get access to the read of the fuse box!

The install is as OEM as you could hope for, but you will need to book time with a chiropractor afterwards and not something I'd ever want to repeat!
Old 28th November 2017, 08:41 AM

Thanks Paul..
I've bought an S8 now so I will be fitting it on the S8 now! You sound well versed in fitting the electric towbar!

I don't suppose you have a wiring guide do you? ... and fitting and removing the buyer is easy enough I'm guessing?
Old 28th November 2017, 07:41 PM

Pre or post facelift? I will dig out the PDF later in any case
Old 29th November 2017, 07:19 AM

Pre

It's a 2013 ��
Old 5th July 2021, 07:51 AM

Apologies for replying to an old thread - but it seemed very relevant :-)

I'm in the middle of retrofitting a factory swivelling towbar to my 2016 A8L TDI , using the KUFATEC wiring loom, and have a couple of questions .

Having drilled the 40mm holes in the plastic boot lining for access to the inner bolts it seems that the aluminium structure behind has not been machined to allow the bolt to pass through the 'tube' and bolt into the towbar 'arm'. The 'tube' is closed at the far end. Hard to describe really, but anyone who has fitted one of these should understand what I mean :-)

I have drilled out the end with a 14MM drill so that should be OK, but I'm really curious to know if anyone else has come across this as every A8 D4 towbar instruction manual I have found has no mention of this ...

I'm also told that coding has to be done by the dealer .. I can find no instructions .. I asked on the obdeleven forum but had no reply. The KUFATEC loom uses the early pre-facelift controller - and they assure me that this works perfectly with the post facelift cars as the two units are logically the same. So if anyone has experience in coding a pre-facelift car that might be really helpful also !

Thanks in advance for any pointers of info.

Chris