A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 8th February 2018, 08:30 PM

What a bunch of plonkers I guess a large part of it is to do with rarety of the car and barely anybody being familiar with it.

D2 is fairly rare car in UK but if Sweden is anything like Denmark it's even rarer. When I was living in Denmark for 3 years I do not recall seeing a single A/S8 and even me having A6 people were looking at me like I was drug dealer.

I have changed fuel pumps on 2 D2's and reseated them on other 2 where previous garage have not fitted them properly and they were not picking up fuel under 1/3rd of tank. For the 14k SEK I am almost tempted to say I will get a pump for you, fly out change the pump and fly back. and since i am out there might as well change the cambelt with accessories, is yours 32V as I have locking tools for it.

In fact to fly London to Stockholm next Tuesday evening and back Wednesday evening is only £38, parking charges for leaving the car in airport car park would probably be more.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	17895  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 8th February 2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 8th February 2018, 09:02 PM

That's a pretty good idea actually!
Old 8th February 2018, 09:11 PM

Or, if Johannes is coming to the June meet once its up and running with the fuel pump fixed - which is his aim - why not book into MJs for a couple of days before or after and get the rest sorted ?
Old 8th February 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Or, if Johannes is coming to the June meet once its up and running with the fuel pump fixed - which is his aim - why not book into MJs for a couple of days before or after and get the rest sorted ?
This is actually an idea I have been considering. But I also remember that MJ said she was booked until summer, right? After she did Dean's A8.

But if you do have the time and opportunity MJ? I would love to have you fix my car
I believe I have time off from 21 May until 3 June. So I could arrive early in the UK, or leave the car after the annual meet and return a few weeks later.

It depends of course if this is something you would be willing to do MJ?

edit: leaving the car after the annual meet in early June would probably be the better option. Which would mean I go back to work for two weeks, and have the next two weeks off again in the end of June.

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98

Last edited by Regulus; 9th February 2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 9th February 2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post

I have changed fuel pumps on 2 D2's and reseated them on other 2 where previous garage have not fitted them properly and they were not picking up fuel under 1/3rd of tank.
Hi Ainars,

Guess whose A8 has a pump that needs reseating and lives about a mile away from you?
MJ and I ran out of time to sort it when Big Red was down in Devon. We (well I use the term "we" rather loosely) did reseat it and heard a satisfying clunk as though it dropped into place but until last Wednesday I hadn't really tested the car by running it below 1/3 full. And on Wednesday I accidentally tested it right in front of Asda petrol station with jam-packed traffic and couldn't get it turned into the forecourt before it spluttered and died at the side of the road.
I've got it booked into Rushden Vehicle Services next Thursday but if you are willing and available sometime in the future I could pop around to yours again and give you the money rather than them.
I know it's a bit cheeky to ask such a thing in an open forum but if you're willing to fly to Sweden to do one then I thought I would chance my arm

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread Johannes.

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 9th February 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
I know it's a bit cheeky to ask such a thing in an open forum but if you're willing to fly to Sweden to do one then I thought I would chance my arm

You can pay for his flights Dean.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th February 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Hi Ainars,

Guess whose A8 has a pump that needs reseating and lives about a mile away from you?
MJ and I ran out of time to sort it when Big Red was down in Devon. We (well I use the term "we" rather loosely) did reseat it and heard a satisfying clunk as though it dropped into place but until last Wednesday I hadn't really tested the car by running it below 1/3 full. And on Wednesday I accidentally tested it right in front of Asda petrol station with jam-packed traffic and couldn't get it turned into the forecourt before it spluttered and died at the side of the road.
I've got it booked into Rushden Vehicle Services next Thursday but if you are willing and available sometime in the future I could pop around to yours again and give you the money rather than them.

Flying to Sweden was not that serious, I was just pointing out how ridiculous 14k SEK £1250) price was considering you can get pump for 10% cost of that. But I can help you with yours when weather gets warmer if you are not in hurry to get it done.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th February 2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Hi Ainars,
No problem at all Dean

The difficulty with seating the fuel pump is the reason I bit the bullet and leave that job to the Audi shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Flying to Sweden was not that serious, I was just pointing out how ridiculous 14k SEK £1250) price was considering you can get pump for 10% cost of that.
I agree the flight price is extremely cheap. It will be a lot more as soon as you land on Arlanda Airport. Just the bus in to Stockholm will probably match that price already And I live far from Stockholm. So it would be a hassle, I am sure.

I also need to apologise to MJ. I realise it was daft of me to ask in this forum.
I should have sent you a pm.

There was a comment the Audi representative made while I was in their shop, which I forgot.
He said they will not cut open and replace a single electrical wire/cable even if they suspect it is faulty. It has to do with guarantee on the job.

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 11th February 2018, 09:23 AM

if I understand correctly the pump alone is available on line for a much better price and by the original producer
why not ask the Audi agent for a price to fit your own pump and if the price is sensible buy one and supply it to them ?
isn't there an instruction article on how to fit this pump on line , maybe there is someone in Karlstand who could do the job for you , why not advertise there
then if Audi refuse you could get the job done for a non crazy price

Last edited by oldnick; 11th February 2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11th February 2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
if I understand correctly the pump alone is available on line for a much better price and by the original producer
why not ask the Audi agent for a price to fit your own pump and if the price is sensible buy one and supply it to them ?
I had the printout with me of the pump that ainarssems linked in a previous post. But the Audi agent said that was not possible, it was either the full pump unit or nothing.
I have the impression that main dealer mechanics are not what they used to be. These days everything has to be completely replaced. Far from it that a part can be repaired, perish the thought!

______
edit: the main dealer refuses to use any aftermarket items

Johannes
_________
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98

Last edited by Regulus; 11th February 2018 at 01:27 PM.