A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 25th December 2019, 10:33 PM

A little late to this conversation Jim, but i had an issue a few years back now with my A4.
Had a difficult time diagnosing it.
The car would suddenly start feeling like someone had nailed a lump of wood to one of the rear tyres. Just as it get to the point of pulling over it would go away.
Finally associated it with road bumps and the suspension getting close to bottoming. That lead my mechanic mate to say "It'll be dry grease in your rear CVs".
The grease near the edges of the CV outside of normal movement will dry out over time, and that because the rear CVs never articulate a huge amount, the dry grease is near the edges. Get a decent movement of the suspension over a bump or rut and a bit of dry grease can get pulled into the CV and be a solid lump that the CV must pulverise into submission!
He was right! Cleaned and regreased all 4 rear CVs and the problem never returned.

May not be your problem, but food for thought...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 8th March 2022, 08:24 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

The issue seemed to ga away for a while (but maybe it was that I hardly drove it in lockdown), but it’s back again! Nowhere near as violent as some of the descriptions here or in MJ’s TC thread. But it does happen at around 1800 rpm and, because it’s not too bad and only lasts a couple of seconds, no-one else seems to notice it.

But, at over 190K miles, I know that the gearbox is on borrowed time, even though it’s been to Mackies at least a half a dozen times.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 26th July 2022, 08:46 PM

Pilots have a thing called 'automatic rough', which sounds like your thing.

You get so used to the 'plane, and how it sounds that when you go over water, your senses get extra edgy, and you start to hear things and worry.

A solution is to open the window. Or give yourself a few slaps.
Old 27th July 2022, 06:53 AM

The issue has gone away again, but it was never as severe as some suggestions. The closest, I think, was MJ’s suggestion of the torque converter, as the slight ‘juddering’ always came on in low gear, under load and around 2K or so revs. But looking into that is way above my pay grade, so I’ll get it looked at when the problem returns.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 26th September 2023, 02:38 PM

Well, it’s still here.

My observations now are as follows:

In lower gears, at around 1500-2000 rpm, often with the engine under load (going up an incline), I get a shudder until the revs increase to above 2K.

I took it into Mackies last weekend for a ‘gearbox diagnostic’ and service. They couldn’t replicate the problem and went ahead with the service. A mile or two down the road it did it again! I sent an email to say that I wasn’t impressed, but I’m getting convinced that it’s the torque converter, so a gearbox rebuild is probably in order soon!
Old 3rd October 2023, 09:30 AM

Converter clutch then. Either the friction material is worn out or the piston seal has failed so the clutch isn't locking up properly. JPAT in Bristol can refurbish the converter for about £450 iirc, although obviously getting it out is a bit of an ordeal. It might be, with labour, that its logical to get the gearbox rebuilt while its out.
Old 4th October 2023, 07:00 AM

Thanks Michaela. I was considering biting the bullet and taking it to Mackie's for a gearbox rebuild. They can still get the parts but they’re ‘difficult’, so the car will need to be in Glasgow for a length of time.
Old 4th October 2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Thanks Michaela. I was considering biting the bullet and taking it to Mackie's for a gearbox rebuild. They can still get the parts but they’re ‘difficult’, so the car will need to be in Glasgow for a length of time.
Best £3k I ever spent - and I expect that the longer you leave it, the more difficult it'll get...

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 4th October 2023, 08:10 PM

A bit more than £3k now I’m afraid ��
Old 8th October 2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Converter clutch then. Either the friction material is worn out or the piston seal has failed so the clutch isn't locking up properly. JPAT in Bristol can refurbish the converter for about £450 iirc, although obviously getting it out is a bit of an ordeal. It might be, with labour, that its logical to get the gearbox rebuilt while its out.
MJ...
I still have a 'supercharger' noise sometimes when acceleration as the vehicle changes gear.
So what is labour time to change gearbox and torque converter?

Just thinking if I could figure out the part numbers are they still available form Audi Tradition in Germany?