A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th September 2017, 05:39 PM

Default Electronic Parking Brake - Left 02432

Hi There,

Got this error code the other day from VCDS, though arguably the whole car shouted about it. Talk about anoying....You need to pull 4 fuses. Two in the boot, two in the drivers side to shut it up!!! Though driving a couple of minutes will cancel the audible alarms until you stop at a junction/lights and it starts again! All for an almost irrelivant parking brake.....I mean park on an Auto makes the EPB all but redundant in most cases!!!

Anyway. Research and it's not an uncommon fault, along with it's brother for the right! It seemed electrical and a connection but lots of wiggling, unclipping and re-clipping and contact cleaner made no difference.

Today i popped the whole unit off the back of the brakes. Two torque screws and unclipping once jacked and the wheel off and the motor unit was clear.

It had a lot of sealant goop over it and some aluminium wrap that is part sealer, part noise reducer it seems. It looked a bit bodgy though. I cleaned the back off and unclipped the back lid and there's a motor with pully belt going to strange toothed wheel / wobbly gear / spline drive.

The strange wheel thing didn't appear to rotate properly, so lots of cleaning, WD, spray chain lube and gentle tapping in a vice to free it off. The belt wheel should rotate on it's tiny bearing (seized) and the wobbly gear spin and wobble. Took a little coaxing, but it slowly made it and after lots of cleaning (isopropyl alcohol) and then lube it's fair and freely mooving.

Gasket sealant on the rim of the back plate and some aluminium tape to cover and close out and some testing and it's all good. I was tempted to epoxy it closed but if it needs servicing again then probably best not. I could be tempted to buy a different car EPB motor (£30-40 vs £300) such as the passat and steal the gear from it
(https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ailed-2840757/)

Other options are new Motor (£300), Refub Caliper complete (£180+£100 potential refund, 1yr), OEM Caliper (£240, 3Yr) or Audi (£££). Most net searches tend to end up with people going for a Caliper and i'd probably go new as the hasle of sending back and potential refund issues for £60 and less warenty seems daft!

Thought I'd report findings for future use and it may help someone

Lee
Old 26th January 2018, 05:03 PM

Hi There,

Had another issue with this. Error'd a couple of days ago after the day of storms!

Brought it inside and broke things down a bit more thoroughly this time as it was obvious there was water ingress and things silted up.

The motor is two screws to attach, but in removing the brakes as well we found that there would be some form of rubber washer sealing this. It was missing and whomever had used some form of silicone and it had failed and there was a fair bit of aluminium exfoliation (not rust, but white powder) and I think this was the core failure.

Cleaned everything back up and got it all moving and free again and put it back together. Used a gasket sealer as i didn't have the rubber washer and it doesn't fully dry or shrink, so should have better longevity!

And NOTHING.....faults wouldn't clear, added brake pads to the faults and even basic settings at times.

Pulled it in again today and popped the wheel off and just the motor. Connector had power and was doing things. The motor when off the caliper would run.

When putting the brakes back together i had to manually back off the EPB and used a driver in the back of the brake caliper where the motor fits. I wondered if it was up against a hard stop.

I removed the motor, backed this off to a loose mid position (as it was unknown, but neither end) I then fitted the motor back.
I then used VCDS in "open for repair" which worked and then "close after repair" which also worked. Then "Brake Test" and Bingo!!!

Seems the EPB motor was at a limit and as such returning the wrong current / load for what was expected and i'm guessing testing like a broken motor!

Up and running again

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 26th January 2018, 09:48 PM

Well done.
As our cars get older, the EPB is becoming more of an Achilles heel.

i have also observed another possible problem - when the piston is not touching the back of the pad, the piston can spin when the motor is operating and when it does, the it's not moving it in or out, I am not sure what is happening on the inside when this happens - and the piston is easy to stop with fingers, but it never reaches the end stop and this also starts to twist the dust seal/boot if it is gripping the piston. Something to watch out for!

Last edited by snapdragon; 26th January 2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:24 PM

An Achilles heel for sure. I replaced a seized calliper on one side a few years back and have had the EPB’s ECU die. Shame.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 5th February 2018, 01:28 PM

Wouldn't mind but with the park brake on the engine of an automatic they are pretty superfluous for the most park. Not much use for Handbrake turns either, I mean, HOW are we supposed to impress the ladies now

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 5th February 2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Wouldn't mind but with the park brake on the engine of an automatic they are pretty superfluous for the most park. Not much use for Handbrake turns either, I mean, HOW are we supposed to impress the ladies now
I thought them largely unnecessary, the pawl brake being sufficient. But they have been known to fail. I use my EPB all the time when I park now.

We are forced now to impress the ladies by being charming, loving, respecting, honouring and listening (my favourite) to them.

Bring back the cheeky handbrake turn and a ‘dab of oppo’ make their knees weak.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 5th February 2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 26th February 2018, 11:47 AM

So after much testing, dismantling, reassembling, hitting with a hammer, spraying with lube...... both the calliper and motor for my N/S EBC will need replacing. Damn it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	522E9D8B-116B-464B-B1F8-AA2110780A67.jpg
Views:	1659
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	18040  

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 26th February 2018, 12:49 PM

ive bought a few of these from EuroCarParts because I couldnt get them cheaper anywhere but they do hold a deposit against your old ones (unless you take them in when you pick up the new one) and after that is taken into account it wasnt too bad

At the moment if you use a discount code "FEB70" then -

Surcharge(s)* £41.99 (Refundable Deposit)
Subtotal: £576.98
Discount: - £181.90
Total (inc VAT): £395.08

After deposit refund : £353.09

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th February 2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
ive bought a few of these from EuroCarParts because I couldnt get them cheaper anywhere but they do hold a deposit against your old ones (unless you take them in when you pick up the new one) and after that is taken into account it wasnt too bad

At the moment if you use a discount code "FEB70" then -

Surcharge(s)* £41.99 (Refundable Deposit)
Subtotal: £576.98
Discount: - £181.90
Total (inc VAT): £395.08

After deposit refund : £353.09
Are the caliper and the electric motor sold as single units or is that the price for both items?

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 26th February 2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
Are the caliper and the electric motor sold as single units or is that the price for both items?
It's the whole thing as an exchange against your old whole thing

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Tags
02432, 02433, electronic parking brake, epb