A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 9th November 2018, 03:49 PM

Default 2004 3.0 tdi

Help
I have fallen into the Audi circular trap and can't find the exit.
I want to know how the cylinders are numbered.
OK, I know it is simples:-
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six

As you can see, I am very knowledgeable and know the names of each one.
I would like to know the physical position of each.
My problem is that Nş 2 Glo Plug is reporting faulty, which gives me a flashing EPC light.
Being a tight fisted barsteward I only want to replace the one.
Yes, OK, advisable to change all six but knowing my luck, six attempts at defying the snapped glo plug syndrome will ensure at least one of the buggers will snap.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 9th November 2018, 06:02 PM

From what I can find, looking from the front of the car, the left bank are cylinders 1,2 and 3 from front to back, and the right bank are cylinders 4,5 and 6 from front to back.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 9th November 2018, 07:22 PM

Thanks Shean.
I had mathematically (looked up the spelling for "that") worked out that Nş2 would be one of the middle ones but couldn't fathom it any further.
Unfortunately life has happened again.
Tomorrow is a drive to London in the 8, stay overnight and drive home Sunday after the Cenotaph Remembrance Day Parade.
Monday I'm returning to Gilslands Hall Hotel with a five day tour. So you must all stay away from the Carlisle to Newcastle corridor for the next week because Armstrong is being let loose with a tri-axle coach.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 9th November 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Tomorrow is a drive to London in the 8, stay overnight and drive home Sunday after the Cenotaph Remembrance Day Parade.
Enjoy Sunday Ray, if that is an appropriate thing to say, bearing in mind the significance of the date.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 9th November 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Tomorrow is a drive to London in the 8, stay overnight.
Whereabouts are you staying Ray, few of us in and around London?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th November 2018, 11:09 PM

Staying at Hangar Lane Premier.
Hope to be there early afternoon and taking the boys into town on the tube.
I want them to see the flames at The Tower.

Sunday is a rather sad day, lots to think about, many people unable to be with us having paid the ultimate.
The tremendous feeling we get from the folk lining the route is something to be held onto. Applause all the way after we pass the Cenotaph and march round to Horse Guards. Indescribable.
My annual two seconds of TV fame

Old 10th November 2018, 09:58 AM

We'll keep an eye out for you Ray, which group are you in? (We probably should know )

Hanger Lane is a few minutes straight down the A40 for me but we have family visiting this weekend.

PS It's "Hanger" (common mistake) nothing to do with aircraft hangars......
Quote:
The road takes its name from Hanger Hill, which is also the name of the surrounding area. The name comes from the Old English word hangra, meaning a wooded slope.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th November 2018, 03:45 PM

Booked into hotel and hit the tube into town by 15:30.
Went to Tower Hill, we wanted to see all the flames at The Tower.
As we made our way to the station exit there was an incident. Never found out what but they shoved us all out into the rain and locked the station. We were sodden and the crowds were not for moving. Luckily I had an escape route through a back alley!! and led my son and the two grandsons to safety out of the crush. Managed to shepherd them to Tower Bridge so that they saw the burning thigs.
We could not get any wetter so I walked them to Aldgate, caught a tube and headed to Leicester Square. Had a nice Angus Steak dinner, cost me £170 but was worth it, we dried out whilst there. Went back to the hotel via tube.
Sunday after breakfast drove the 8 into town and along Pall Mall. Stopped at a big black gate, rang the bell, a nice young man opened the gate which allowed us to partake of a free very secure parking place in London Town. The good feeling bit was when we left to drive home the big black gates opened to allow us to drive out and all the meandering pedestrians stood back and tried to peer into my newly tinted rear windows. The kids loved it.
The parade went well and I was on camera for close to fifteen minutes but when I checked the programme last night I had been cut out.
Today I am back in the Gilslands Hotel, this time for five days.

Last edited by tc4332; 12th November 2018 at 03:47 PM.