A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 12th January 2018, 10:16 AM

That's exactly what it looks like, one light is LHD and the other RHD

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 12th January 2018, 06:03 PM

Good points guys. I will check again and make sure it's not in tourist mode.
Maybe full steering lock was on when I took the pick or something so will do again.

edit>Not in Tourist mode, but coming up the M1 on Wednesday, an '08 A8 was in the other lane, it too had terrible bi-xenon headlights just like mine.
It too was overshadowed by the cars behind and at the side - the difference was night and day.
The xenon and LED headlights on new cars are amazing but some of these other cars were BMWs, Mercedes, Toyota and Peugeot of similar vintage.
Hopefully I will get time to remove one and strip it down..

Last edited by snapdragon; 19th February 2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 9th March 2018, 08:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2Qb-I89Uo
WIll be getting these as well as overhaulling lamps - as demo'd on an A8 2008
Old 10th March 2018, 07:57 AM

Quite pricey those Philips D2Ss. Are they worth it?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 24th March 2018, 09:16 AM

I have those bulbs!

2008 Audi S8
Old 24th January 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post

I bought these from Jawad Malik at Xenon Bulbs Ltd in Leeds - he supplies a lot of the car guys with bulbs and has his own Xenon bulbs made which keeps the price down. Pleased to say so far they are very good -
http://www.xenonbulbs.co.uk/Xenon-HI...S/OEM-D2S-PAIR
What are these bulbs like a year down the line? Still good? At £30 delivered for the pair they seem too good to be true!

Gregor

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!
Old 28th January 2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH77 View Post
What are these bulbs like a year down the line? Still good? At £30 delivered for the pair they seem too good to be true!

Gregor
My bi-xenon headlights are ridiculous in the dark and the main beam isn't much better. Hoping these £30 bulbs will help me see again!

Old 30th January 2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH77 View Post
Gregor
No Issues and still good, I'm pleased to report!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 30th January 2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
No Issues and still good, I'm pleased to report!
Just to clarify, are these for the main headlights and NOT the high beam? I have no issues with the high beam, but the dipped beam is like driving with two candles. And even better, they fall into my price bracket.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 30th January 2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Just to clarify, are these for the main headlights and NOT the high beam? I have no issues with the high beam, but the dipped beam is like driving with two candles. And even better, they fall into my price bracket.
Hmm should be the same bulb with BiXenons:

"Xenon and Bi-Xenon headlights do not have a fundamental difference, since they both use the same Xenon bulbs. They differ only in the number of bulbs that are in each set of headlights. Xenon headlights use two pairs of bulbs just like halogen headlights, while Bi-Xenon headlights use only a single pair of bulbs and a "mask" piece which activates to eeither shield the full beam area or to allow the whole area to be lit"

I'm wondering if your projectors in your headlights are fubarred - I know that Trups at EM Tuning offers a morimoto conversion to update existing headlight units for D3's and would love to do that with mine one day, not sure of the cost per pair of headlights or how long he needs them for though

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs