A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 8th December 2017, 10:10 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Following this chain with some interest, and then saw this on my FB feed:

https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-cur...-intelligence/

Thoughts? Not much content in this piece, but sort of interesting, in a Skynet-sort-of-way...
As a 'currency of things', absolutely they are. One of the greatest attributes of cryptocurrencies is that they do not discriminate. They can be used by anyone (including the billions of unbanked people) and anything. With an increasing number of 'things' going online, from simple domestic appliances to cars, cryptocurrencies help us to progress to the next level by opening up a whole new world of possibilities in the way that those 'things' can interact and pay each other, whether that's as simple as a self-driving vehicle paying its own tolls and parking fees, or a more complex automated exchange of goods or services executed through Smart Contracts.

So I think it stands to reason that AI would use cryptocurrencies too but I think true AI is still probably decades away yet. However, the human brain is just a biological computer, albeit a very powerful and complex one. It's only a matter of time before we begin to reach that computational complexity and our 'things' become conscious and self-aware (that is assuming mankind is not destroyed by war or natural disasters in the meantime). Certainly the 'old system' of banks and state-controlled money will not survive.

Even without AI, the old system no longer meets our modern day human requirements and simply cannot compete. As cryptocurrencies begin to replace it, I think we'll look back and realise how archaic it was to have banks and governments controlling the money, deciding who can and can't participate, monitoring and controlling everything you earn and spend and earning billions in fees for transferring money across borders that they created. When you consider also the systemic corruption and spiralling national debts, it's a very broken system that will inevitably collapse, even without the help of cryptocurrencies.

Some argue that since we measure cryptocurrency prices in fiat, what we're seeing isn't so much a steep rise in the price of cryptocurrencies but fiat prices falling to zero. I think there's probably some truth in that but it won't become apparent until all faith in the government-controlled currencies collapses (just as it has done already in places like Venezuela, where Bitcoin is replacing the increasingly worthless Bolivar).
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 8th December 2017, 10:42 AM

Since you mention smart contracts, maybe I should be mining Cryptokitties instead
11% of Traffic on the Ethereum Blockchain Is Being Used to Breed Digital Cats
Old 8th December 2017, 12:24 PM

Lot's of stuff going on, several developments going on I hope to give a bit more updates on my experiences later today or maybe tomorrow.

For now here is how I payed import duties on UPS as at the time when question was asked I had already paid so could not show. This is for the PSU for S9 .

Quote:

When I phoned UPS they told me you can't pay the duty until it arrives in the UK. How/where do you pay online? Just looked and I can't seem to find it.
I have registered with UPS and this is what I see when I click tracking number from e-mail, the I just click 'Pay Fees Online'

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	17603  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 8th December 2017, 12:26 PM

The more I read about this stuff the more I worry

https://qz.com/1149772/the-murky-rel...ng-suspicions/

Old 8th December 2017, 01:15 PM

It has to go bang soon. I can't believe this sort of growth is sustainable. It still seems that the best way to make money from cryptocurrency is to steal it.

This may well be another game changer - 10 times the power of the 1080ti!

Nvidia Titan V Giant
Old 8th December 2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
It has to go bang soon. I can't believe this sort of growth is sustainable. It still seems that the best way to make money from cryptocurrency is to steal it.

Nvidia Titan V Giant
This has me wondering. The spec given is 110 Teraflops of performance.
OK, what does that mean? Is that 8-bit precision?

From what I can see on Geeks3D.
6900 FP64 gflops (64-bit), which is also known as double precision.
13800 FP32 gflops (32-bit)

http://www.geeks3d.com/20140305/amd-...ble-computing/

See how relatively high the AMD Radeon HD 7990 is? With 1946 FP64 gflops.

I don't have a link to a specific web page where I read about AI programming, because I'm not really interested. But I believe it mentioned that 8-bit was sufficient or optimal?

This may have no relevance to crypto mining, I don't know.

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 8th December 2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Nvidia Titan V Giant
It's a multi GPU rig in a card!!! At $3000 it's not for every day use and it won't kill ASICs. Wonder if you are mega rich you could have a 4/8/13 card rig with it!!!

And with all that heat you would probably save on summer holidays

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 8th December 2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
The more I read about this stuff the more I worry

https://qz.com/1149772/the-murky-rel...ng-suspicions/
There's certainly no shortage of scams and 'sh1tcoins' in cryptocurrencies. You do need to properly research any altcoins before investing.

I would never invested in Tether -- Even if their claims are true, what is the point of investing in a cryptocurrency that has a fixed price and is backed by the very same monetary system cryptocurrencies are set to replace? Ripple is another one that has close ties with fiat and also the backing of the banking industry. While such cryptocurrencies might have their uses, they're completely missing the point.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 8th December 2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Since you mention smart contracts, maybe I should be mining Cryptokitties instead
11% of Traffic on the Ethereum Blockchain Is Being Used to Breed Digital Cats

That doesn't surprise me.

Still, if the content pushes and tests the network it'll drive progress, no matter what it is. It was the same with the internet: If it wasn't cat photos, cat videos and all the other junk people feel compelled to share online, we'd probably all still be on dial-up speeds.

Cars Owned:

Old 8th December 2017, 08:13 PM

For anyone who didn't see it yet, this was NiceHash's response and update yesterday:

https://youtu.be/qrIP7cknGUo?t=60

Cars Owned: