A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 11th May 2018, 11:28 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Default Wheel Spacers

Considering getting some wheel spacers ...

Would these (H&R Blackline 20mm Hubcentric) be suitable for my car (standard 20" FE wheels and tyres), for both front and rear?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-Black...2/161468091154

TIA
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 11th May 2018, 12:09 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I’ve got 10mm on the front (I know my signature says 15mm!) and 20mm on the back. IMHO, 20mm on the frony would be too wide. Do you want some piccies Mark?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 11th May 2018, 01:19 PM

Thanks Guys.

Jim, photos would be appreciated if you have any!

The main reason I was looking at 20mm all round (apart from simplicity/consistency) was that the 20mm spacers are the type that bolt on to the hub. It seems that spacers less than 20mm use longer through-bolts instead (presumably because the spacer is too thin to securely bolt a wheel to).

Or have I got that wrong?

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 11th May 2018, 02:04 PM

Edit to correct:

I went for 20mm on the back of mine to avoid the use of extended wheel bolts, as I'm not a fan of that style of fitting. I never fitted any on the front, but don't think you need much to fill the arch - definitely less than the back.

H&R are a good choice

Some pics of mine in this thread:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...=spacer&page=3

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC

Last edited by Adrian E; 11th May 2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:17 PM

I have 20mm all round with 18" Avus and they rub the dirt off the front arch liners when the suspension bottoms out. That's with 245 Goodyear Asym 3 which are like tractor tyres.

I'm putting 20s on with 255s over the weekend with 17mm on the front and 20mm on the back so I'll report back how they fit.

The 17mm spacers I have are also H&R which bolt to the hub. The spacer bolts are proud of the mounting surface by a couple of mm, but the wheels I'm using have recesses between the holes so they fit fine.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:23 PM

Great. Thanks for the info both

MJ, do you think those 17mm spacers would work with FE wheels?

Cars Owned:

Old 11th May 2018, 02:46 PM

I'll have a look later
Old 11th May 2018, 05:53 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Photos will follow tomorrow. The ones on the front, that I’m sure I bought as 10mm say 15mm on them.

As to bolt-to-hub versus bolt-through (with extended bolts), I’ve had 2 really bad experiences with the former.

The first was after having the discs skimmed in situ. To cut a long story short, the garage obviously removed the rear spacers to skim the discs and didn’t torque one of them up properly. But the wheel bolts were done up correctly. Result - the wheel came off on the M6!

Second, another garage over tightened the wheel to spacer bolts and stripped the thread (it’s only a shallow thread into aluminium). So I had to have the spacers replaced and, because the bolts that secure the spacer to the hub are recessed, theye were a real PITA to remove.

So, I’m now a bolt-through convert!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 11th May 2018, 06:05 PM

Interesting. I was thinking bolt-on would be better and safer than bolt-through. Hadn't thought about those kind of potential issues. Hmmm ...

Cars Owned:

Old 11th May 2018, 07:10 PM

I have to say that I cannot see that there is any mechanical advantage of "bolt into" rather than "bolt through". In fact, the opposite would seem to be the case and I am sure that, as Jim says, there are real issues with the former. It just seems to me that through bolting is more secure as long as correct tensile strength extended bolts are used. I have 15mm hub centric pacers on 18" Avus and use extended bolts but even if they were 20mm i would use extended bolts.