A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 19th June 2018, 10:28 PM

Default Headlight - Halfords $15 to change...

So i've had a dead headlight now for a while and wandered up to my local Halfords at the weekend. They said they'd change it for $15....which is pretty neat considering the dealer quote i'd gotten before for $280....

Question is, anyone know what bulbs I should go for? I'd prefer to upgrade them from the OEM's in there right now.

They sell Bosch purelight (Bosch 477 H7), GE Megalight Ultra +120, GE 477 H7 +130, and then their own versions.

Stupid question, but why wouldnt one just go for the brightest bulb available?

I see a lot of Polish lads driving Audi's, Merc's etc with really white bulbs.....but read here that they might look white but no good if you're in the rain, fog etc.....

What i've read here is that going Xenon's (this is HID, right?) etc require ballasts and a chunk of change. So looking for plug n play....

And the off she shelf HID's they sell won't fit?

Sorry for all the questions but a bit bamboozled with it all.....

I did email a company, I think it's Trups? But didnt get a reply.....

thanks again folks, any feedback would be great....
Old 19th June 2018, 10:42 PM

I suggest staying well away from Halfords, unlikely they'll have a clue what they're at. I would buy LL (Longlife) bulbs from a reputable maker such as Bosch or Hella.
They being such a pain to change, LL bulbs last way longer.
Any 30% brighter etc bulbs, I ever bought never lasted more than 6 months and should be replaced in pairs.
Aftermarket HID's can be a bit boy racer look.

I always changed my own on my D3, takes 20mins and a bit of swearing.
From Memory, the Airbox had to be moved out of the way on one side, mine was a 3.0 TDI.
Old 19th June 2018, 10:45 PM

Thanks joe....good advice.....

One of the chaps did post a good thread on how to change...

So, i think then, LL is the way to go..unless I want to change them regularly.....
Old 19th June 2018, 10:46 PM

Halfords changed mine, and it's fine....

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:09 PM

My experience of Halfords is with their ROI stores, the UK ones might be better.
I've seen them struggle to change headlight bulbs on a ford fiesta !
Old 19th June 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Halfords changed mine, and it's fine....
Aye but your's is a D2, my cat could change them in a couple of minutes

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 19th June 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Aye but your's is a D2, my cat could change them in a couple of minutes
Ah, but does it charge less than Halfords?

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 20th June 2018, 09:48 AM

The monkeys at Halfords won't have a clue unless it involves sticking their head in to see the back of the headlamp unit and unclipping the cover to access the bulb, which the D3 certainly doesn't.

You can either go in from the top and remove the airbox, or turn the wheels to full lock and undo a couple of screws in the wheelarch liner to peel it back and get your hand up to the back of the headlamp. But saying that, access might be slightly better in your V6 than it is with the V8s and V10

Either way, it's not the nicest of jobs and much swearing is usually involved. On that subject, I've got a little Ford Ka runaround and it's exactly the same on that - almost impossible to get to access from the engine bay unless you have fingers like toothpicks so you have to either remove the wheelarch liner or unbolt the whole front wing, simply to change a headlight bulb on a Ka.

I seem to remember OEM colour temperature is 4300K. I've gone for 5000k in the past when I replaced mine and been very happy with them. It's worth spending more ££ to get decent Philips or Osram bulbs, instead of generic Chinese eBay jobs. Not looked for a while but a pair is usually around £100 and sometimes down to around £80 on some websites.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 20th June 2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
It's worth spending more ££ to get decent Philips or Osram bulbs, instead of generic Chinese eBay jobs. Not looked for a while but a pair is usually around £100 and sometimes down to around £80 on some websites.
Even then, beware of fakes, buy from a proper distributor. Philips in particular are regularly faked, and to look at initially they are very very good!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th June 2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Even then, beware of fakes, buy from a proper distributor. Philips in particular are regularly faked, and to look at initially they are very very good!
That's true, I say 'some websites' but I'd only really recommend buying them from somewhere like Eurocarparts or Autobulbsdirect.co.uk

The latter is always good for checking what size bulbs your car takes.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8