A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 28th May 2016, 09:00 PM

personally I would go for an AGM battery like the varta silver dynamic like OE for RR, bentley etc capable of at least double the discharge cycles of older designs

incidentally who knew that varta are actually american ...johnson controls [ the worlds biggest battery manufacturer ]bought them about 15 years ago
apparently johnson also make the bosch labelled batteries , can't tell you the code numbers for them , bosch charge a bit more for the same battery so not for me
Old 29th May 2016, 12:35 PM

Agm are intended for cars with stop-start and I believe are usually maintained at a different alternator charge rate which a non-AGM specific car won't deliver

I'm sure it will work ok

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th May 2016, 02:03 PM

well in the publicity for this battery Varta say......also perfect for stop/start application .....so obviously the ability to accept the greater discharge explains the longer life expectancy as that is what shortens the life of so many standard batteries
as far as I know charging rates are standard , these improved batteries and longer lasting starter motors are all that is required

I suspect most 8's are not used as daily drivers , so having a battery that can be discharged to a lower voltage without damage is a distinct advantage !

incidentally , I notice that the latest Bentley uses this battery , and that is design to stop the engine when driving slowly !
Old 29th May 2016, 03:35 PM

I was really tempted, but I didn't go for the AGM as it seemed to have a lower capacity than the normal one and a shorter warranty, despite all the bumpf saying it is expected to last longer.

2008 Audi S8
Old 31st May 2016, 11:39 PM

I've been running Varta AGM in my D2 for 3 years.
So far so good.