A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 10th June 2018, 10:16 AM

Default changing instrument cluster

Hi guys.

Another surprise when i bought my A8 was how incredibly quickly it accelerated to 100mph - then the realisation that the speedo was in kph not mph.

I didnt realise they used KPH in ROI. The car was bought in NI, but was used mostly in ROI so was ordered with the metric instruments apparently.

Would a new cluster be plug and play or does it involve huge amounts of reprogramming that is beyond my simple brain?
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone
Old 10th June 2018, 12:40 PM

No doubt someone with more info will pop up later.

It is possible but be aware CP will kick in and that is at least £60 at the stealers.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 10th June 2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erubus View Post
Hi guys.

Another surprise when i bought my A8 was how incredibly quickly it accelerated to 100mph - then the realisation that the speedo was in kph not mph.

I didnt realise they used KPH in ROI. The car was bought in NI, but was used mostly in ROI so was ordered with the metric instruments apparently.
Yet another of the fun facts about Ireland (North & South). NI as part of the UK has the dual mph/kph cluster and the ROI have the kph cluster, since they use kph for speed whilst we use mph.

I think when they first switched, a few people from NI got away without speeding tickets by using the mph/kph confusion excuse.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th June 2018, 06:47 AM

I wonder if would be easier to disassemble the current cluster and swap the speedo face from a UK car onto the one from ROI, that would save a lot of ballache with component protection, dealer visits and incorrect mileage on the replacement cluster.

This of course assumes the UK cluster and ROI cluster have the same range in kmh.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles