A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 17th July 2013, 01:57 PM

Default Jack of Death Pt 94

Thought I would remove front offside wheel to clean it as I had cleaned/waxed t'other when sorting the ABS sensor. (30min job at lunchtime so I thought). Well it was until, without any undue force exerted, the jack folded up and the car dropped onto the (new) disc. Fortunately I had no part of my body under the car so escaped lightly. The drive is fairly level with the slope towards the nearside. Car was in Park and brake was on. Now I know why it is referred to as the "Jack of Death". What a design! It took some long levers and a trolley jack to get it sorted out. Need to go and test the hub/disc/caliper assembly now - carefully - to see if anything is out of alignment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Failure 001.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	590.2 KB
ID:	6396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Failure 002.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	560.6 KB
ID:	6397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Failure 003.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	6398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Failure 004.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	6399  
Old 17th July 2013, 02:16 PM

Yikes! Much damage done underneath?

I'm still in the habit of sticking an axle stand in somewhere under the car when working on it - just in case!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 17th July 2013, 02:19 PM

No apparent damage (I havent stuck my head under yet to establish that!) but the wheel is spinning freely on the hub. Need to take the car out now for a drive. I do have axle stands but they are too tall for this car and I have never worked out where they should go on the 8 anyway when the jack is in the way of the jacking pad point(s)
Old 17th July 2013, 02:56 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I havent stuck my head under yet to establish that
Don't do that without an axle stand!

I'll point out the areas that I use tonight before the BBQ. I also tend to throw an old tyre under the sills just in case
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 17th July 2013, 03:12 PM

Even with my trolley jack, I still slide the wheel I've taken off under the sill.. Just in case.

The D3 jack seems to be a much better design.

I know.. I know..

Old 17th July 2013, 03:17 PM

Glad you're ok David could have been nasty. I've had mine off the jack as well and it's not nice is it?

You might have seen this when i posted it but this is what i made to go in the boot for use in the event of a flat after i had my problems.
Jack

I reckon your disc will be alright.
Axle stands can go under the subframe mount for safety.

David the CREW are ready here with pitch forks and zimmer frames, if you need them to take this issue to Audi direct thery're ready to go.

And BBQ eh? Don't seem to have an invite for that one, must have missed it.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 17th July 2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Glad you're ok David could have been nasty. I've had mine off the jack as well and it's not nice is it?

You might have seen this when i posted it but this is what i made to go in the boot for use in the event of a flat after i had my problems.
Jack

I reckon your disc will be alright.
Axle stands can go under the subframe mount for safety.
Yes, i saw your post this afternoon when looking at previous issues with this piece of crap. The problem with my axle stands is that the car needs to be so much higher than the normal jack goes to get them under the sub-frame. Perhaps I need smaller stands? I'll check with The Laird tonight. He has also got a heavy duty jack so he tells me (presumably for the armoured version of the 8). He also has a "spare" normal jack if I want it......
Old 17th July 2013, 03:32 PM

Keep the old jack David and i'll make up a "man's" jack with the parts and you can have that.
Have you got any breeze blocks or hard wood blocks lying around?
I use a trolly jack at home, that'll get the car high enough for support under.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 17th July 2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Keep the old jack David and i'll make up a "man's" jack with the parts and you can have that.
Have you got any breeze blocks or hard wood blocks lying around?
I use a trolly jack at home, that'll get the car high enough for support under.
Thats a kind offer mate.
Plenty of wood though - that's how I managed to lever the car up enough to get the trolley jack in!
A trolley jack was on my tools wish list. Its now at the top. SWMBO also said I can have a garage with a flat floor and a pit! Not sure that'll I'll swing a two poster lift though!
Old 17th July 2013, 04:21 PM

Though..On a related 'jack of death' story.. the Mk1 Mondeo had a similar jack, and if I hadn't been wearing a chunky wedding ring, I'd have had a fairly messed up hand when it fell backwards off the jack while I was putting the new wheel on. Trapping my fingers between the tyre and the arch, managed to slide the fingers out to see the car sitting with the ring between the arch and tyre, even managed to get the ring back in one piece when the RAC guy finally turned up.

So marriage isn't that bad after all lol.

I know.. I know..