A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 15th February 2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
If you're driving in low speed limits in London I'm not surprised.
Most of my mileage is on motorways under cruise control.
Driving locally or short journeys consumption is terrible.
Most of my driving is dual carriageways and a little of residential roads, 10miles runs or 25-30miles runs.
I don't take to account short trips to morrisons.

It got to the point that my onboard computer is always set to miles left on the current petrol load, I don't even keep it on MPGs.

But, I get the point, most of my journeys are fairly short.
Around London calm driving is around 12-16 MPG

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th February 2014, 05:20 PM

30 to 35 mpg in my 4.2TDI here, but burning heavy oil and not gasoline.
Old 16th February 2014, 07:37 PM

Default Update

The last few days have confirmed what many on here have mentioned with regards to differences between short journeys and distance driving. I'd used my A8 for work last week due to the icy weather and the ten minute journey each way hammers it. I filled up on Thursday night and the DIS figure of 14.7mpg was found to be slightly optimistic, the actual MPG was 14! The average speed on the DIS was 24 miles per hour.

I drove to Monifieth on Friday (around 200 miles from me) and did a couple of short journeys to the golf course while I was up there. I filled up with Shell Nitro at the start of the return journey this afternoon and it's worked out at precisely 21mpg (DIS states 22.1) so while that's not great it's bearable. The average speed was showing 50mph for the trip. I guess that means going faster in an A8 improves your fuel consumption by 50%

I'll fill up again and check the MPG for the return journey, I took it steady again so I'm expecting no worse than the figure seen on the way up.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 16th February 2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norretal View Post
i guess that means going faster in an a8 improves your fuel consumption by 50%
:rofl:

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 16th February 2014, 10:47 PM

Default A personal record on MPG

27.2 mpg in my D2 S8 this evening . Mostly @ 70 on the motorway from Manchester to Walsall, but still a lot above my overall average on 19.2
Old 16th February 2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
27.2 mpg in my D2 S8 this evening . Mostly @ 70 on the motorway from Manchester to Walsall, but still a lot above my overall average on 19.2
must have been driving like a nun

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 17th February 2014, 09:20 AM

22.47mpg yesterday a mix of motorway (clear & 50mph roadworks) and some local roads with some town roads - this was calculated brim to brim the computer said 21.8mpg
Old 19th February 2014, 11:13 AM

A check on the fuel consumption for my return journey from Monifieth revealed 22mpg, which is quite pleasing as I was stuck in roadworks just north of the Forth Road Bridge for a considerable time, or I'd imagine it could have been slightly better. I used the cruise control quite a bit on the return journey so that may have helped also.

I'm back off on my travels next weekend to Blantyre and Arran so will continue to check the fuel consumption. We could take the wife's oil burner but it's not as comfortable, effortless and I can't fit golf clubs in it, which is essential of course Comfort over economy every time for me

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 19th February 2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post

I'm back off on my travels next weekend to Blantyre and Arran so will continue to check the fuel consumption. We could take the wife's oil burner but it's not as comfortable, effortless and I can't fit golf clubs in it, which is essential of course Comfort over economy every time for me
...and we dont want you polluting the clear air of the west coast with tractor fuel.
Old 19th February 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
must have been driving like a nun
'bout right - which takes a lot of self control normally, but I was quite chilled on that trip, so it wasn't that hard.

After 2 days of 3 mile rush hour commutes from Walsall to West Brom, the DIS average dropped to 23mpg , but is now back up to 24.5, following the drive to the New Forest via Bristol and Lyme Regis. Doubt I'll get it back to 27 though…, but it's an interesting little experiment.