A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th November 2017, 07:27 PM

Default Throttle Potentiometer

So brief bit of a story before the problem. The Mrs is out in the S8, she phoneds me a bit panicked and shook. She says there’s something wrong with the wheels on the car, it was skidding. Ok, so were you going fast. No. Ok. I’ll check it. This is after I have stuck the winter wheels back on which are obviously a bit narrower. A lot narrower. Anyway the pressures were a bit off, got that fixed and discovered that yes, it gets a bit slidy - at 50 on a roundabout. Goes back and explains that perhaps she’s got used to driving around far too fast, she says “well there was this Golf sitting too close and annoying me”... I stopped her right there.

Anyway it got me thinking, the throttle response on this motor has always been a bit jumpy - which may have brought on a slide a bit sharper. I put that down to the automatic and the powerful engine at first but now I’m thinking that perhaps the throttle potentiometer has worn down near the start of the pedal travel. I did read that these were early fly by wire motors, and normally the early ones had pot’s instead of hall sensors.

Anyone else had this / replaced theirs / had their Mrs turn into a rally driver overnight?

Last edited by B4-Andy; 8th November 2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Clarification.