A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 31st December 2017, 03:48 PM

All engines have EGR.
It's used to reduce peak combustion temperatures to reduce NOx emissions.

It slightly reduces combustion efficiency, but you can't get to emissions targets without it.
The biggest issue with it is the hot gases introduced into the inlet manifold that aids carbon build up when coupled with PCV.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 31st December 2017, 10:57 PM

Not the case my friend ....

There is a lot of petrols that do not have egr , loads of Vauxhall models do not have it , many of the new generation Audi’s and bmw petrols do not have egr , Fiats multi air petrol engine do not have egr

The Vw 888 petrol engine does not have external egr control , with new combustion chamber design and individual control of valve lift and adjustable opening and closing of valve timing the engine can dial in late exhaust opening which leaves an amount of burnt gases in the cylinder helping lower burn temps to keep nox down .
Many manufacturers have come away from egr and are using selective catalyst reduction , extra nox cats and add blue systems , this 888 engine also had common rail direct into cylinder injectors ,and injectors in the manifold ..... there is no exhaust manifold , the turbo bolts straight onto the head , it has no water pump .........

I’m going off on a tangent here , back to the plot , looking at the self study literature on the v10 fsi engine it does not have egr so it probably does it’s nox reduction through valve timing control , and like you correctly said,mixing hot gases with relatively cool inlet gases with crankcase mist is a great carbon maker that can add to the Black Death process , in the v10s case just the mixing of pcv in the manifold is sufficient to cause the Black Death and the lack of manifold injectors to ‘ wash ‘ the back of the valves it’s hard to escape from the build up .

On some of the 4 cyl fsi engines they do have egrs ,and a mod you can do (if you have a ecm file writer )is to switch egr off or ‘ calm down ‘ the egr duty cycle to slow back of valve build up .

Anyhow enough of engines ....happy new year everyone 👍
Old 31st December 2017, 11:20 PM

Well I didn't know that!
Late valve opening or early closing is such a better way to control NOx than EGR, but would require some really precise valve timing, particularly high in the rev range.

The EA888 engine purportedly has the port injectors precisely as a carbon reduction technique. It's heresay, but there is no efficiency to be gained by port injection over direct injection.

Thanks for teaching me something after I've opened my big mouth 🤐 🤔 🎓

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 31st December 2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 1st January 2018, 05:16 AM

The valve timing EGR is called Internal EGR And yes, our cars have that. Good thing is, this can be either disabled or tuned out, still working on that. Will share my findings and solutions.

It is indeed partial cause for the carbon cake, combined with the passive pcv which needs deletion too. Working on a kit for that as well.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:52 AM

Always learning 27 ....I go on quite a few courses with work so get to see some of the new technologies before it’s generally released...thing is ,as I’m getting older all the new stuff I learn some of the old stuff that’s in there falls out of my other ear !!, Daandaman who you work for mate ...VAG or a tuning group or something
Old 1st January 2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
The valve timing EGR is called Internal EGR And yes, our cars have that. Good thing is, this can be either disabled or tuned out, still working on that. Will share my findings and solutions.
Haven't ignored you on the map and reading fella, just this time of year, back on it all tomorrow and will get this read sorted
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
Always learning 27 ....I go on quite a few courses with work so get to see some of the new technologies before it’s generally released...thing is ,as I’m getting older all the new stuff I learn some of the old stuff that’s in there falls out of my other ear !!, Daandaman who you work for mate ...VAG or a tuning group or something
We are a bunch of overly enthusiastic hobbyists, some working in the OEM automotive industry and some actually making a living doing real tuning. But the whole Audi S8 deal is just me
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Haven't ignored you on the map and reading fella, just this time of year, back on it all tomorrow and will get this read sorted
Cool! Send me your contact details when you are ready to proceed
Old 11th March 2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
You are right. If it lost power over time; I probably would not notice.

It is a daily drive for me. I do around 20k miles per year in it. Just that these are some big bills. A De-coke plus a front suspension rebuild on the horizon. Big bucks that could go towards something newer.
So I decided to spend the money. A little spring makeover..
  • Carbon Clean (walnut blast method)
  • Injectors ultrasonic clean and service kit
  • Front and rear lower and upper control arms
  • New coil packs and spark plugs

Next job, transmission service... Then good for another 167k miles

The injectors were cleaned by James at InjectorTune. He runs a D2 S8. He provided a before and after flow rate and spay pattern report. It made sense to do them as they were out for the carbon clean anyway. It is now driving notably better and has a smoother idle.

I am very impressed with the walnut blasting. It was very effective and a lower cost than other methods. See before and after images below and judge for yourselves:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180310-WA0003.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	18119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180308-WA0003.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	18120  
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O

Last edited by kele; 11th March 2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11th March 2018, 09:47 PM

And what’s your verdict from the driving experience post clean?