A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 7th February 2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
you could get a cheapo second phone just for unsupported apps such as those. You can pick up new android phones for as little as £40 that should be capable of running most apps.
I think I have a Tesco Hudl in a cupboard in the office actually That'd work!

Transferring from Coinbase may be quite useful since my current account won't accept incoming SEPA transfers, but after Coinbase's conversion fees I'm not sure its any better than selling on Bittylicious?
Old 7th February 2018, 03:48 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I think I have a Tesco Hudl in a cupboard in the office actually That'd work!

Transferring from Coinbase may be quite useful since my current account won't accept incoming SEPA transfers, but after Coinbase's conversion fees I'm not sure its any better than selling on Bittylicious?
I haven't looked into Coinbase's fees to be honest. Are they that high? Certainly Revolut's fees are minimal and I think exchanging between EUR/GBP is free. As a test, I sent small amounts of GBP and EUR back and forth between Revolut and Coinbase and transferred money to/from my bank account. Probably about 6 transactions in all. Looking at what's left, it seems to have cost me about 15 pence, most of which is probably Coinbase withdrawal fees.

Revolut accepts SEPA both ways but I think, more importantly, even if you could send directly to your bank, it's probably best you don't. Banks (perhaps unsurprisingly) have become a little uncooperative lately when it comes to cryptocurrency trading, with numerous stories of people having their accounts suddenly closed just for transferring funds to/from cryptocurrency exchanges. When you transfer to/from Revolut, the bank just sees it as a regular bank transfer from another bank account that you own.

I've looked into selling on Bittylicious a few times, but never gone much further than that because I'm not planning to sell any of my holdings yet. As far as I could tell, it looks like you need to apply to be a seller and you have to have a certain amount of Bitcoin, etc available for sale at all times, and be ready to respond quickly when you receive a purchase offer. If/when I do sell, I think I'd prefer to be able to choose how much to sell and just exchange it.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 7th February 2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 06:47 PM

Having some extra time on my hands I have drawn my attention to GPU rigs again. Garlicoin was a bit of a bust, I have accumulated a bit over 180 of them now but CryptoNight still seems the way to go for AMD cards. Eth is up there but MRR pay well for XMR as well and it's lower power, temps and noise. So I have been looking at using my Onda motherboards and trying alternative miner software instead of Stak-XMR. I finally got SGminer to work which is supposed to be the fastest and no dev fee but I could only get about 650H/s out of it comparing to 800-900 on cast. XMR-tak was either slow with low intensity or crashing with high intensity for me but I really wanted to get it working due to several pool settings.

So my final result is this on Onda D1800 BTC motherboard

5x RX580 cards, XMR- stak, 4k+ H/s less than 600W. I was worried about close spacing of cards but temps are pretty much the same as before, fan speed might have gone up a bit in average maybe from 1200 to 1300 rpm.

Well pleased with it although profitability has gone down a lot since mid December it's still better than it was in September. It's earning me more than £9/day, in September it would have been £4-5/day. Compares well to the S9 as well, the whole setup would cost about £1800-1900, only uses less than 600W and would be more re-saleable if all mining went downhill.

Just need to do the similar setup on my other Onda motherboard but it will leave 1 card left over and as it is easier to manage the same cards together I think I will have Vega card left over so that will end up on eBay with £500 starting price as that is what my friend already offered me for it. Not bad considering I bought it for £390 and it has already earned me £250-300.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	17892  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 7th February 2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 07:12 PM

Anybody else spotted Antminer V9 release?

8 history:
Old 7th February 2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I've looked into selling on Bittylicious a few times, but never gone much further than that because I'm not planning to sell any of my holdings yet. As far as I could tell, it looks like you need to apply to be a seller and you have to have a certain amount of Bitcoin, etc available for sale at all times, and be ready to respond quickly when you receive a purchase offer.
It works exactly the same as buying for ad-hoc trades, just the other way round. You don't have to register any differently to buying. Put in the amount you want to sell and it will offer you a price and a buyer. This time you send crypto and they send a bank transfer. As soon as the transfer clears, mark it as paid on the site and it releases the funds. I sold some LTC a while back and it did ask if I wanted to be a regular LTC seller as apparently they don't have enough, but ad-hoc is simple enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I think I will have Vega card left over so that will end up on eBay with £500 starting price as that is what my friend already offered me for it. Not bad considering I bought it for £390 and it has already earned me £250-300.
I'd happily give £500 for it too considering they're still selling for £650-700 on ebay People seem to be dumping them though - there were 11 for sale the other day! PM me if you list it please
Old 8th February 2018, 10:41 AM

Nice work on the Onda rig Ainars

Those cards do seem very close, but if the temps are ok I suppose that's all that matters ...

How's the stability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Anybody else spotted Antminer V9 release?
Yeah, I got the email from them yesterday. Minimum order of 5 units I think, but very cheap, like a 5th of the price of most Antminers. However, looking further into the spec, it seems they're also quite low performance, on a par with the S7 at best (as far as I could tell from a brief search for info).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
It works exactly the same as buying for ad-hoc trades, just the other way round. You don't have to register any differently to buying. Put in the amount you want to sell and it will offer you a price and a buyer. This time you send crypto and they send a bank transfer. As soon as the transfer clears, mark it as paid on the site and it releases the funds. I sold some LTC a while back and it did ask if I wanted to be a regular LTC seller as apparently they don't have enough, but ad-hoc is simple enough.
Ah, I didn't realise that. I think I might still use Revolut instead of Bittylicious though, if only to prevent any potential issues with my bank, should a buyer unintentionally use a 'trigger word' in the payment reference. Having said that, I suppose I could use Revolut with Bittylicious (instead of using Coinbase), giving my Revolut account details to the buyer instead. Hmmmm ...

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 8th February 2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Those cards do seem very close, but if the temps are ok I suppose that's all that matters ...

How's the stability?
So far so good, have not crashed so far but it did take some time to configure clock and miner intensity settings to find a sweet spot. Temps are fine, Sapphire card in the middle even sometimes stops the fans when temps are in low 40's. It's the best card even if only 4GB. I found a cracking Bios mod for it online and it's the fastest card I have with 920H/s and low power consumption.

The downside with XMR stak is that at every startup it creates 4GB file in pagefile for each thread so 40GB in total so it takes 10-15 minutes to start up as I use older mSATA drrive on this motherboard which only does ~90MB/s write speeds instead of M.2 PCIe drives doing 500+MB/s write speeds I were using before. I guess Atom J1800 CPU does not help either. But once it's started it works just fine.

Quote:
I'd happily give £500 for it too considering they're still selling for £650-700 on ebay People seem to be dumping them though - there were 11 for sale the other day! PM me if you list it please
I am not 100% sure but I think I will list it because running it as single card on the motherboard is not that efficient so might as well let it go and then built another Vega rig later with the 5 cards I ordered on Amazon when they arrive. I will also have ASRock H110 Pro BTC motherboard going spare as I am never going to use all 13 PCIe slots on it. It gets more complicated with every card you add. I think 4-6 cards is a sweet spot.

Besides I could use that money for soundproofing as my neighbour complained today about noise coming from my garage. Apparently he can hear it in the conservatory when he turns his radio off or in the house with window open. I can understand him and I have moved one L3+ in the house today and I am switching D3 off in couple of hours time when rental runs out to keep garage cooler for remaining 3x S9s and 1x L3 and hopefully reduce the noise by reducing fan speeds as until now the garage has been warmer than house. Also sealed all the air gaps around the waves of roofing sheets and around the door with expanding foam to limit the noise escaping but that will potentially reduce ventilation and increase the temps.

I already have some acoustic ducting to experiment with and some adaptors are in in the mail for me.

Not sure where I go next with noise insulation, maybe use an old fridge or freezer to house miners or build some extra brick walls in garage for a separate section for miners.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 8th February 2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 8th February 2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I've been trialling Revolut for the last few days. Great, ain't it!

EDIT: Just realised you posted a referrer link. Forgot to use that, sorry
It's awesome. I've been using it for a couple of years now in regards to traveling and paying in euros for online stuff like festival tickets!
Apart from an issue with a temporary cash point because i refused the fees, it didn't give me cash and it still showed up on my account, having to go through a 3 month charge back which timed out and then refunded....which i think was more the crappy german cashpoints fault than Revolut it's been a doddle. Bank rate transfers with no fees, upto a sensible limit (5k iirc)

As for the referrer link, you needed 3 to access crypto currency early, but i've heard it's limited in use atm, so meh....i'll wait

Antiminer V9....is that 4TH on Sha256 then....ok, only 1000w, but you get 4.7TH on an S7 for 1200 so it's nigh on the same efficency....OK it's only $345 but you need 5 of them and the psu's, plus tax, shipping and import, so probably not that far off the £750 i paid for mine with psu back in October and that's in March....Given the naff exhange rate atm and unpredictability, i think i'll pass

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 8th February 2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
It's awesome. I've been using it for a couple of years now in regards to traveling and paying in euros for online stuff like festival tickets!
Apart from an issue with a temporary cash point because i refused the fees, it didn't give me cash and it still showed up on my account, having to go through a 3 month charge back which timed out and then refunded....which i think was more the crappy german cashpoints fault than Revolut it's been a doddle. Bank rate transfers with no fees, upto a sensible limit (5k iirc)

As for the referrer link, you needed 3 to access crypto currency early, but i've heard it's limited in use atm, so meh....i'll wait

Antiminer V9....is that 4TH on Sha256 then....ok, only 1000w, but you get 4.7TH on an S7 for 1200 so it's nigh on the same efficency....OK it's only $345 but you need 5 of them and the psu's, plus tax, shipping and import, so probably not that far off the £750 i paid for mine with psu back in October and that's in March....Given the naff exhange rate atm and unpredictability, i think i'll pass

Some speculate that V9 is old S7 boards from Bitmains own farms underclocked in new casing and maybe new controller.

8 history:
Old 8th February 2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Bank rate transfers with no fees, upto a sensible limit (5k iirc)
I think I've spotted a potential money-making loophole with that ...

If you top up your Revolut account with a credit card, it seems the card company register it as a purchase rather than a cash advance. So, if you have a credit card that gives cash back on purchases, unless I'm missing something, you could top up your Revolut account, transfer the funds to your bank, transfer the funds from your bank back to your credit card, thereby receiving cashback without making any purchases.

Cars Owned: