A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 1st June 2014, 09:14 AM

Try the shampoo you have first, it might be fine.

I don't use wax, but would imagine you'd apply it with a foam pad.

Again, I don't really know anything about quick detailer, I just started using it as a clay lube and nothing else
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 1st June 2014, 09:26 AM

Hmmmm, the AG shampoo is ph neutral so I think I will still exchange it, what you said about low sub stuff is not what I want to hear and just the name, body prep, is putting me off now when washing a waxed car, plus I need to get the sheepskin mitt for the wheels

I will wash the car, clean the dirt off around the trims with a stanley knife......just joking, maybe with a clay mitt or brush or toothpick and cloth around it, I don't know, and them I will use the MER finishing wax, I can't really go wrong with putting that on top of the wax, can I???...well, or a rapid detailer, I will make my mind later.

Then I will just focus on the wheels, engine bay and interior.

THANK YOU

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 1st June 2014, 11:54 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I've attached a scan of the Halfords clay mit instructions. Hope you can read it OK. I thought it might come out better than photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clay mit.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	8286  
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st June 2014, 12:23 PM

Personally I wouldn't clay mitt or clay a car when the paint is so new Marcin - the paint needs time to harden. Quick detailer is pretty mild stuff and is meant to just get dust off a car and enhance the polish but it's pretty safe to use. Personally I would wash off any dirt gently with a mild ph neutral shampoo and then just towel it dry, then quick detail it to keep it clean unless it gets too dirty when you need to wash it off again

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 1st June 2014, 12:44 PM

^ +1
Old 1st June 2014, 01:47 PM

Neil, this is exactly the plan for today.
I've just finished the engine bay and ESPECIALLY bonnet from underneath OMG !!! Restored some black back on all the engine covers and air box and other black plastic bits. Just need to stick the rings on the back cover as they came off , some good quality double sided padded tape will do the job.

Hoovered engine bay especially there where the drain offs are. Cleaned all the hoses, cables etc. Just the engine block left for next week.

Now I will crack one with a gentle wash using AG ph neutral shampoo, dry it off and quick detailer or MERs finishing wax. and then the wheels, proper clean and seal plus tyre dressing, all AG kit so it should come up nicely even if I'm not the biggest fan of tyre shine stuff. I've got to do it as tyres are really filthy since picking the car from the bodyshop.

OK, go go go

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciated

PS. and yes, I went to halfords pick up sheepskin mitt for the alloys, polishing mitt to use with quick detailer, better shampoo plus i returned the sponges and squeegee, but they told me to keep one sponge as it was free so my little one enjoyed it when washing her bike along me sweating the bol@x off on the engine bay.
Plus i got some thumbs up on the way to halfords from couple of drivers (exhaust ) so it was a nice start to the day

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 1st June 2014, 02:40 PM

Great job! The Meguiars endurance tyre gel is very good, goes on easily with a sponge tyre gel applicator and lasts pretty well I think.
Link is HERE if you want to see the product details

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 1st June 2014, 04:54 PM

DONE...off for a drive now around the center and visit few mates on the way
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2300.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	8294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2301.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	8295   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2302.jpg
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	8296   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2303.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	8297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2304.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	8298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2306.jpg
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	8299   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2308.jpg
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	8300   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2309.jpg
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	8301  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 1st June 2014, 04:57 PM

Now DEVASTATING news, look what is happening with the clear coat on the face of the alloys two weeks since they've been refurbished
I am fuming right now, can't even correct it before the meet

Any idea what this is???
Seems like under the clear coat as the surface seems to be smooth
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2295.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	8302   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2299.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	8303  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 1st June 2014, 05:09 PM

Looks great Marcin, shame about the wheels, I kerbed mine already in John Lewis car park as the turning was so tight, I don't need to tell you how angry I was that day.

So what did you have painted on the car? Did it cost much?