A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 12th September 2016, 10:15 AM

Diff oil (standard gear oil) can leak out of the front shafts, and if it leaks enough can blow back on to the downpipes.

I did these on mine a while ago and meant to make a thread on it. I'll stick one together later with part numbers
Old 12th September 2016, 10:17 AM

Lubricant dripping onto the catalysts/exhaust is what makes the stink.

No idea how easy it is as a DIY job I've always had it done by a garage. Never said it was difficult though.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th September 2016, 10:27 AM

Definitely DIYable if you have a decent bench vice. The hardest part is getting the driveshafts out tbh, because you have to pull a lower control arm.
Old 18th September 2016, 05:45 PM

ok , still trying to find the time to have a look at this

did a 500 mile round trip on wednesday and didn't really smell anything so decided the best thing to do is to top up the 2 diff's [ where's the fillers ?] and see if there really HAS been much of a fluid loss ...I have a suitable syringe [ chinese of course ] and if there is little loss leave it pro tem

is that a practical plan , can I get at the fillers ok ? if they are already fullish must be something else one presumes

incidentally , do the front shaft seals have to be pushed in 1.7mm like the rear output shaft one ?

Last edited by oldnick; 18th September 2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 18th September 2016, 06:42 PM

The front shaft seals are a little recessed yes. You can get to the front diff filler with the driver's side wheel off, and ideally the plastic cover which sits over the junction box. It should be checked with the car level, and as usual fluid level is the bottom of the hole.

The torsen filler plug is also on the driver's side on the side of the casing where the torsen is. Can't remember if the exhaust is in the way of this one or not.

You can see them both in this pic:

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 19th September 2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 19th September 2016, 09:39 AM

thanks MJ , I am a bit confused looking at your pretty picture
clearly the front filler does both sides , but the tail shaft comes out of the torsen which is a sort of diff I suppose , but there then has to be a third diff at the rear does there not ? and all of these use 75/90 hypoid I presume

us plymouthians is a bit thick , especially as tempus has flown ![ 65 years since my last latin lesson ]
Old 19th September 2016, 10:10 AM

I've updated the pic. The filler at the front (orange circle) does the front diff, and feeds through a tube behind the torque converter to also do the bearing for the output shaft on the other side.

The filler at the rear (red circle) does the Torsen centre diff.

The rear diff filler is on the side here:

Yes, they are all 75/90. I recommend Castrol Syntrans for changes but if you're just topping up pretty much anything that grade will do.

Its rare for the rear diff to leak much except at very high mileages. They're usually a little damp around the output flanges but anything worse than than is unusual. That would be unlikely to make its way to the exhaust too.
Old 19th September 2016, 10:14 AM

Yes there is rear diff on the rear axle. Best to stick with OEM oils or equivalents instead of generic 75W90 oil.

I don't know about auto box diff oils but 6 speed manual calls for special oil in gearbox + centre and front diffs. Audi recommends one of Castrols Syntrans oils, I don't remember viscosity but it is GL4+ specification. Regular GL4 is not good enough for high pressure hypoid gears and GL5 wears out bronze bushes and synchromesh gears.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 19th September 2016, 01:15 PM

ok , looks like stocking up on some syntrans won't hurt before I go any further the one to GL4+ ; it's available on line here from 123pneus ,1 litre delivered at €15 [ their uk site my tyres does it at £14 ]

I notice that as well as GL4+ it says it is to these VW specs

GO52 145
GO52 911

any of these sound familiar ?
Old 19th September 2016, 01:29 PM

Thats it ^ G052 911 is the stuff for the 6-speed manual and G052 145 is for the diffs in the Tiptronics. Called 'Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90', although oddly I can't find it on Castrol's site. They may have renamed it?

I first got Syntrans from TPS in favour of the OEM stuff which, frankly, is rubbish. I had an 01E 6-speed which had become nearly unusable on the OEM oil, even after a couple 30K changes. A change to Syntrans and it lasted another 60K so consequently I put it in everything

Comma make an equivalent fully synthetic 75/90 too which can be easier to get on the high street than the Castrol.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 19th September 2016 at 01:38 PM.