A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 30th August 2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz 70 View Post
Have tried just simply plugging it in, but nothing....
How long for? Have you read back in this thread on the logic of when it does (and doesn't) look for a signal and how to trick it by changing the clock time (no need to pull the fuse if it's not registered the radio time yet)?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th August 2014, 12:18 PM

No to be honest have done no real playing around, as I was (and still am) assuming I will have to set something so it know's that the radio option is fitted... . Only issue I might still have anyway is my part does end with an A and I know this appeared to apply to FL models. Knowing some of the time with some things makes no difference it's still possible that it could in this case.

I'm still routing through the internet, even on A4 A6 forums etc to see if and how they coded the instrument cluster.....

I might go back and quad check that 19 is not there... but as it came up the last 3 times saying channel not available.... not expecting anything....

I will also have a re-read through as I might have missed something. and could mess with the time and see if that does anything.

And there was me thinking this would be one of the more easy and straight forward mods.... :-/ hey ho.

Thanks

Daz
Old 30th August 2014, 04:45 PM

In pre-FL there must be another channel or another value to code the presence of the module. Maybe not enough to just plug it in for pre-FL cars, which I have no experience with.

Before doing random things just open ELSA which should be installed on your PC. Read coding situation for your car. Don't approach projects like this without ELSA.

Last edited by notorious; 30th August 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 30th August 2014, 04:59 PM

This site seems to think the coding is common across a huge range of models: http://www.vagcom.org/modifications/...trolled-clock/

Quote:
VAGCOM / VCDS changes

go to modul 17, adaption 10, channel 19:
xxxx0 = disabled radio controlled clock
xxxx1 = enabled radio controlled clock

so change the last number in 1.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th August 2014, 08:07 PM

In case there was no adaptation channel or coding for cars of your era: Try to code cluster for Germany for the sake of experiment (cluster will switch odometer from miles to km during the experiment). I'm thinking your cluster is currently coded for the UK and the feature was not available in the UK. I'm just making a guess here that the feature was automatically ON for German and EU based cars and automatically OFF for the rest of the world. When they upgraded cluster software in later cars they may have created adaptation channel 19 to specifically control the feature independently from country. This is just my guess.

As HP mentioned, wait 24 hours after each experiment to allow cluster to pickup signal. God knows when your version of software is doing the synch.
Old 30th August 2014, 08:11 PM

Yes I did also come across this site today which gave me more hope... but again.. says basically the same... and While I might have module 17 and serveral single digit channels have values (i.e. available) channel 19 comes back not..... I believe iirc 18 and 21 or 20 are both available but no 19....

digging in elsewin I did find some reference in higher channels again from memory was in the 60's and said about radio option.... but I think this was going on about the stereo and displaying the info in the dis panel....

Only other thing I wondered if maybe I need to set a different language see if that then lets the option become available...

Deffo has me at a loss.... still all part of the fun i guess.

Thanks for you continued help :-)

Daz
Old 30th August 2014, 08:37 PM

Post your question on German/euro forums and try to find car of the same year with this feature installed. Ask the owner to send you coding detail and values of all adaptation channels. Then try all that on your car.
Old 3rd September 2014, 03:01 PM

Well having set it to German and change a few other location from 0 to 1, still made no difference.... so might give the German forum ago... failing that, might be a unit for sale soon...

Already spent more time on this than I thought I would, and as it's only the clock.... starting to think.. not really worth the effort...

:-/
Old 11th November 2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
located in the "easy access" position behind the dash trim (just below the instruments "check" button) it's working fine.
And was spot on when I got in the car after the clocks went back the other day.
Old 16th December 2014, 01:01 AM

Default how bazzare

Having fitted the Radio Module to the Back of the dash panel (D2 Pre FL) I simply left it and thought I would try and sort it later...

For some reason having no fiddled with the car at all for the last couple of months... and when I got in it Sunday night was display the time (+1 plus) and also the ant symbol... whaooo.... great....

HOWEVER I cannot adjust the clock to mins one hour.... well not with the buttons unless there is a trick?

So unless it can be edited by logging in.... but then If I have to do this everytime..... I probably worse off than I was before... ;-/

Any help or suggestions....

Thanks

Daz