A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 18th August 2019, 04:33 PM

Default Sunday Drive and then all the coolant falls out

Afternoon all,

Well after fixing the battery in the S8 and going for a drive I was just thinking to myself what an excellent car the S8 is.

Then....

Temp gauge went to the right and red low coolant warning came on the dash!

Ahhhhh and it was all going to well.

Not far from home luckily so got the old girl back and plenty of steam on the right side of the engine (passenger side where the expansion tank is). Clearly leaking, dripping out onto the drive and the expansion tank was empty. Topped it up, drove round the block and it helpfully emptied itself again.

Steam from the right again and plenty of coolant dropping onto the undertray. No leaks from the expansion tank or the pipes in and out of it. Looking more into it I can see drips and steam coming from what looks like below the exhaust manifold so not sure if its there or dropping from a pipe higher up. Though cannot see it that well as its a little crowded in that part of the engine so need to get it up on ramps and take the undertray off. I have had a small leak for ages but this looks like something has just decided to let go, I was thinking oil cooler pipe but from memory that's on the other side of the engine.

That can be next weekends fun job!
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--

Last edited by Nognar; 18th August 2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 19th August 2019, 06:43 AM

I know that feeling.
I'm currently in Germany after the German Audi A8 meet.
On the way there whilst tail end charlie in our convoy I had to drop anchor at about 130MPH. Up came brake pads worn warning.
Replaced both front pads and all was good.
Did a couple of four hour drives at speed still good.
During a 165 MPH cruise a loud banging started. Driving not affected so wasn't a tyre or engine problem. Brought speed down and the noise stopped. Pulled off the road and found the front under tray, or what was left of it was flapping in the breeze. Friday at 18:30 at Germany has started to close down for the weekend. Carried on to Bielefeld, at 160, it was quiet now. Phoned Audi in Bielefeld whilst en route and the night manager said bring it in at 09:00 Saturday.
Poor chap drove car into test bay but had to ask is the throttle still with the right foot.
End story is, cut off with a Dremel all that was still flapping, made safe for the return drive to England today.
Total cost at the stealers . . . . . zilch.
Even received the usual coffee and biscuits but they did not offer an Audi valet

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 24th August 2019, 11:54 AM

Well got the old girl up on the ramps to wonder where the leak was from.

Could see it running and dripping off the exhaust pipe and followed it up to the engine bay.

Then found this:

The hose above has perished and split so the coolant is coming from the black rubber pipe above the exhaust and its the one on the left.

Yep, that's not a 10 minute job though need to look at ETKA to work out which one it is.
--

Last edited by Nognar; 24th August 2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 24th August 2019, 12:03 PM

It might be 4D0121109 but could someone confirm? I can then get to TPS to buy one in.
--
Old 24th August 2019, 12:15 PM

None of the hoses are available in the UK any more. Used or a German contact to buy from Tradition (which we have) are the only options.

Are you sure its a rubber hose though? That pic looks to me like its the metal pipe joining the two heads together. That is sealed to the head with an o-ring which frequently perishes and disintegrates.

If it is the o-ring thats a mixed blassing - it's still available, but its a hell of a job to change it, plus you'll need a bunch of other gaskets and seals for everything else that has to come off (inlet manifold etc).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolantpipe.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	22096  
Old 24th August 2019, 12:25 PM

Its definitely the hose that's the main problem as I could see it cracked and coolant leaking when I looked but could not get the phone to it for the perfect picture.

The coolant went everywhere when it let go hence its rather pink all over the place!

Though I could well see the metal pipe joint on its way out to.

I think first attempt will be get hold of the lower coolant hose as it looks to be from the bottom of the expansion tank down to just above the exhaust which may be doable with some swearing.
--
Old 24th August 2019, 03:14 PM

Fair enough. Prestige have just taken a 4.2 apart so hopefully should have the hose.
Old 24th August 2019, 06:22 PM

Just ordered it from them

Thanks to A8 parts as always as I would have been a little stuck otherwise!
--
Old 30th August 2019, 06:56 PM

I would not wish this job on anyone!

Its in one of the hardest places to get too right at the back of the engine and my god its taken some doing this afternoon. It was not the lower expansion hose in the end as I thought but the pipe next door to it which is a heating hose 4D2819371B.

Gave it a pull and it tore in two parts easily!

You can see from this photo it was not in the best of condition after 17 years of use!

On the bench and now in two parts!

Joy of joys and arms do not look good after that and quite cut up! Right time to order one of those and then the fun of fitting it, I wish I was closer to Devon.

30 second job I suspect if the engine was outside of the car
--

Last edited by Nognar; 30th August 2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 30th August 2019, 07:10 PM

Ooh not fun at all! Look on the bright side though - still orders of magnitude easier than doing the metal cross pipe