A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 4th April 2019, 03:26 PM

Basic settings in VCDS. It'll run the pump for 10 seconds. You have to do this three times (waiting 30 seconds each time IIRC) to purge air from the pump. It basically circulates it back to the reservoir.

If you (your mechanic) opened the system at the master cylinder then pushed fluid through to each corner to bleed it, there is a chance there is still air in the pump.
Old 4th April 2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Basic settings in VCDS. It'll run the pump for 10 seconds. You have to do this three times (waiting 30 seconds each time IIRC) to purge air from the pump. It basically circulates it back to the reservoir.

If you (your mechanic) opened the system at the master cylinder then pushed fluid through to each corner to bleed it, there is a chance there is still air in the pump.
Only have basic VCDS, non activated one. Being lazy now, but is there a way to bleed it by activating it? I know people bleed abs by slamming brakes to activate it.

Last edited by hunker7; 4th April 2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 4th April 2019, 03:53 PM

Actually I think you are supposed to go out and do an ABS-assisted stop after bleeding the system I'm sure that's in the manual somewhere. It would have the same effect as doing it via VCDS
Old 4th April 2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Actually I think you are supposed to go out and do an ABS-assisted stop after bleeding the system I'm sure that's in the manual somewhere. It would have the same effect as doing it via VCDS
Won't hurt trying I guess
Old 5th April 2019, 10:05 AM

Developed a new problem, drivers fromt caliper won't release? Pistons or guide pins are not seized. Any ideas? If I leave it it for a bit I can push the pistons back in and release it?

Last edited by hunker7; 5th April 2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 5th April 2019, 10:58 AM

Ugh. I've had that before and it was the pump in the ABS block Is it showing any fault codes?

It sounds like its not had a fluid change in years and all the moisture has gummed everything up.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Ugh. I've had that before and it was the pump in the ABS block Is it showing any fault codes?

It sounds like its not had a fluid change in years and all the moisture has gummed everything up.
That's what I was dreading. Started doing that after ABS assisted stop yesterday. No abs light on or traction control light, abs still seem to works but brake pedal is very unpredictable.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:12 AM

Can it be "disconnected" possibly? I'm sorta stuck far away from home atm.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:29 AM

Unfortunately not, its all one unit. Thinking back, it might have been a sticky piston in the ABS unit. Basically the car would roll around fine, but press the brakes and it was locked in place. I can't remember how I got it to move again, but I replaced the ABS unit since it had a code for the pump and all was well again.
Old 5th April 2019, 11:35 AM

Its impossible to drive it, can't even get it to the garage.