A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 5th December 2009, 11:33 AM

Default bi-xenons

just a question. does anybody know if the headlight lense on a 2001 bi-xenon is replacable or if it is damaged does it require a complete new light ?
the reason for this question is that my headlight lense was damaged with a few scratch makrs in a recent accident. the car was repaired by the main stealers on the other persons insurance. they replaced the headlight with a complete new one but i now have a problem that the new one is brighter than the one that was not damaged. so my car now looks odd at night time when my lights are on. if the headlight lense is replacable then i want my old headlight back and for them to just replace the lense. or can i ask for my headlights to match ?
Old 6th December 2009, 08:12 AM

If the repairs were not carried out to MoT standards (i.e. the lights produce incorrect aim/incorrect pattern or different light colour/intensity...i'd have a independant test station ensure they are happy to offer it a pass) then i would say you have a very strong argument for the replacement of the other light to make the vehicle safe and road legal, a repair thats a fail is worthless. It's unlikely that the lens is causing the problem however as they carry no tint and neither should the reflectors unless they were goosed, they may have swapped the bulb for a new one in the new light (or it may arrive from the factory with one in) and that will give you different light as one will be old and heading on to going PFuttt and the other is shiny and new. I wouldn't want the old one back, i'd want a new shiny one in the other side or a bulb to match the output ;D
Old 6th December 2009, 02:23 PM

I'd say that the car is now cosmetically different from before and that you have a reasonanble case for a new one.

It's probably the bulb and reflector being new that's causing the difference, so either get your old unit back from them if they have it and swap the glass (you could in the old units, not sure about the FL ones).

I know.. I know..