A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 9th January 2020, 11:25 AM

Default Corrosion

Further to another thread I thought I’d start this of my own. Last year I noticed the rear arches had become corroded quickly, whereas the bubbling elsewhere on the car hadn’t really progressed in the ~5 years I’ve had the car.

See pics attached.

I contacted Audi UK, who signposted me to my local Audi dealership. Popped in there end of last year. Had the car seen and had no reply. Contacted Audi UK yesterday and they got back to me today:

Dear Mr Medhurst

Thank you for our telephone conversation on 9 January.

I can confirm that Carl from Warrington Audi has advised the panel is aluminium and will not be covered under warranty and will be classed as paint defect and the warranty for this is three years.

If you are not happy with the centre’s diagnosis, you can contact PVWI who are an independent company who can provide you with a second opinion. There will be a charge for their inspection; however, we will accept their decision. Their details can be found via the link below:

http://www.pvwi2010.co.uk/?LMCL=aRJC3d

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the number below.

Kind regards
————————

Anyone had any dealings with PVWI, or been told similar by Audi about their corrosion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7BF6ED9C-7BB0-4D73-9340-C5AF5B8F78DE.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	22706   Click image for larger version

Name:	F3631472-4108-4D61-91BE-5EF14A488C05.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	22707   Click image for larger version

Name:	C795E9FA-3E15-4782-9562-C268ECD025A5.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	22708   Click image for larger version

Name:	7DF86CB6-F74C-43C3-BDD8-385EEBA4B10A.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	22709  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 9th January 2020, 11:37 AM

I expect given the location they will put it down to stone chips. Would be interesting to understand the cost of an independent view?
Old 9th January 2020, 01:21 PM

The paint warranty was for 3 years, there is also an corrosion warranty - a 12 Year Anti-Perforation Warranty. I'm afraid I don't think either apply here, but you could claim it is liable to perforate within 12 years and you have reported before that so that they can intervene before a more expensive repair is required. Then again, the newest D3s are nearly 10 years old now, so may be difficult to convince them.

Your new vehicle is manufactured with full protection against rust attacking the internal cavities from the inside to the outside leading to perforation. The anti-perforation warranty lasts for a period of 12 years starting from the date of delivery to the first owner.
In the unlikely event of this occurring within the warranty period, your Audi Centre will carry out the required repairs free of charge. The following conditions apply:
• The defect must be reported to an Audi Centre as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period.
• The Audi Centre must determine that the perforation has stemmed from within the internal cavities and is the result of a manufacturing defect.
• The perforation must not have been caused originally by external factors such as accident damage, stone chips, industrial fallout or pollution, plant resin, animal pollutants, chemicals or insufficient care or maintenance.