A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 28th April 2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph2.5pi View Post
Could the mileage on that cluster then be reprogrammed to match the old one?
Yes, mileage can be adjusted. It's stored in an EEPROM within the cluster. It can be read / write in place with a suitable clip and 'tool'

Quote:
Is there anything I would need to know in order to make this work?
I think you will need to know what IMMO generation you have in the D2 (I'm thinking it's Gen3 ??) and to have PIN's from both your cluster and the replacement cluster for the swap.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 28th April 2017, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the reply mattylondon. I'm afraid as a complete layman I didn't really understand it!
So the mileage in a replacement cluster can be corrected to match the old one, that's good news.
This is the cluster that I saw on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1119945436...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Can I just plug this in and it'll work??
Old 28th April 2017, 04:00 PM

I had in my mind that the instrument cluster in the FL D2's has the immobiliser chip built into it as well so I think it may well be an issue to just swap a cluster over

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 28th April 2017, 04:16 PM

I've swapped a cluster on a B5 S4 before but I think it was IMMO1 (1999 plate car with analogue clock), also changed the mileage which involved converting the current to KMH first. This was easy enough once I'd managed to get the Security Key Code (SKC) from each unit.

If the immobiliser chip is in the cluster is it not a matter of then coding the existing keys in or more complicated than that?
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 28th April 2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Can I just plug this in and it'll work??
I'm afraid not, no.

I just searched the factory repair manual as I'm unfamiliar with the D2, but it did confirm that from Feb 1999 the A8 has a Gen 3 Immobiliser which is within the dash panel.

You see the engine ECU, dash panel / immobiliser and keys are all paired together. Once one is removed it will not work in another car unless it's been adapted.

I've attached a print out from the WSM and do read the below link and watch the video's as the end.

https://sites.google.com/site/imnuts/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vw-wi___rl_A.en-GB.4D-EA-EAE.wi__20839066.pdf (141.0 KB, 303 views)

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 28th April 2017, 05:11 PM

Ok thanks very much indeed for the links, that's very helpful! :-)
Old 28th April 2017, 05:12 PM

I had my cluster replaced about a year ago. I got it done at an Audi dealership, as they have to code in the keys. I wasn't worried about getting the mileage changed as the one I managed to source from our sponsors was quite near my own, as I just arranged to take the car in when mine had got to around the same mileage as the donor one.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 29th April 2017, 07:02 AM

The simplest way would be to remove memory chip that stores mileage and key information from the old cluster and solder it into replacement cluster

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 29th April 2017, 08:26 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
The simplest way would be to remove memory chip that stores mileage and key information from the old cluster and solder it into replacement cluster
I haven't seen inside a D2 instrument cluster, but wouldn't it be possible to just swap the circuit boards?

OR .... if there's nothing else wrong with the original cluster, maybe just swap the LCDs?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th April 2017, 11:43 AM

I have not had any issues with D2 cluster so don't know details as well but in my experience with other models LCD is either soldered or bonded directly to PCB or ribbon cable is bonded to LCD and other end soldered to PCB so swapping PCB would be at least as complicated as swapping EEPROM on PCB's.

In addition to this it's not always LCD that is faulty, it could be connection cable or dry solder joints for controller chip or the chip itself. Considering that issue is heat related I would be leaning more towards controller chip dry solder joints which would mean using old PCB would retain the issue. Basically solder joints under the chip has cracked and while cold still pressed together and making connection but as it heats up and different materials expand at different rates cracks open up and loose connection.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure