A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 20th July 2017, 11:52 AM

Default CV Boots

MOT time again and once more it failed on a single CV boot. I've already had it replaced on warranty but to go through two in a year seems a bit much. I think the quality of boot is part of the trouble and the tight access to my driveway.

Does anyone else have this trouble or advice on how to make them last more than 6 months or less?!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 20th July 2017, 12:12 PM

Some cars do seem to eat CV boots for some unknown reason. One of my A6s had a string of them before I got it then didn't need another for 130K after I changed them myself.

I presume you are using good quality boots? The Lobro GKN ones from Euro Car Parts are OE, last very well and are cheap

Link here: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Au...77eb70b&000445

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 20th July 2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 20th July 2017, 01:18 PM

Thanks Mikki. I'm not sure of the quality of the current ones but think they were probably cheap generic ones as they mentioned having to cut them to size!

Booked in for tomorrow as need to get it done now but might purchase those for next time. Garage have said the brand will likely be Rhino, can't say I've heard of them.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 20th July 2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
Thanks Mikki. I'm not sure of the quality of the current ones but think they were probably cheap generic ones as they mentioned having to cut them to size!

Booked in for tomorrow as need to get it done now but might purchase those for next time. Garage have said the brand will likely be Rhino, can't say I've heard of them.
Nasty universal ones then - no wonder they are failing. Rhino is also a universal boot so I would insist on them using the proper boots tbh otherwise you're only going to be doing it again soon. I would hope anyone working on your car has an account with Euro Car Parts so they should be able to get one same-day as those boots are used on loads of VAG models. If not, I keep them on the shelf if you want me to send one straight to the garage so they can do it properly?
Old 20th July 2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Nasty universal ones then - no wonder they are failing. Rhino is also a universal boot so I would insist on them using the proper boots tbh otherwise you're only going to be doing it again soon. I would hope anyone working on your car has an account with Euro Car Parts so they should be able to get one same-day as those boots are used on loads of VAG models. If not, I keep them on the shelf if you want me to send one straight to the garage so they can do it properly?
Nice

Reckon it could be the stretchy ones they used?

Bright yellow bus o love.