A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 1st September 2017, 11:04 AM

Default Fault ABS Sensor Rear Left

Guys, this fault came up recently. Results in the ESP/ ABS warning lights and deactivated park brake. After changing the sensor, fault still there. Used VCDS to establish fault came up before wheels turned. Turned out a bad connection at the terminal ABS pump up front. Cleaned up the male pins, reconnected and fault gone.
Old 7th December 2017, 07:00 PM

Thanks for posting.

I have a similar problem with front left. Have changed the sensor to no avail, I have a vcds log what would I be looking for for similar root cause ?
Old 7th December 2017, 07:20 PM

Did you check plug loom connecting to ABS pump?
Old 7th December 2017, 08:10 PM

Not yet

Need to check :

Pins into sensor
Wiring to sensor
Plug loom - is this just the wiring?

Waiting for toddler to get to bed and hopefully I’ll get the car into the garage for a look! If it’s the cable moving it by hand should trigger the fault ?
Old 7th December 2017, 08:25 PM

If the fault comes up on start up before moving it’s the sensor, wiring or pump. If it’s triggers on rolling, it’s the ABS ring. Moving the loom may not trigger it.
Old 13th December 2017, 10:10 PM

Sensor changed, fault back. Vcds showing faults with control module.

Confirmed by local mechanic. Came on this morning going over a speed bump.

Check pins?
Old 14th December 2017, 08:02 AM

If you end up changing the ABS unit (like I have) then make sure you get a "matching pair" ie the ECU and ABS part its bolted to come off the same car and have matching HW and SW numbers to your old unit. ALso to warn you, if you change it then you will always get a scanned fault code regarding the change when you run a scan - the only way to avoid this is to fit a brand new ABS module/unit and then it codes clear from new by Audi. But a second hand unit thats all working fine should cure the warnings coming up if its the old unit at fault

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 14th December 2017, 09:11 PM

ok thanks for advice will follow this. Still holding out hoping its the wiring.

Car is driveable atm, and putting this off till after xmas i think.
Old 15th December 2017, 12:31 AM

Couldn’t resist another look at the wiring and good job I did.

Cable had a layer of tape on it which was hard to see initially, on peeling it off I found 2 cables which had previously been soldered and repaired. One loose and one completely split and disconnected.

Have no solder iron and need Car in morning, so had to improvise with a bit of wiring from a light fitting, duct tape, bandage tape and insulating cable. No doubt not fully water tight never mind it’s only twisted and taped but hopefully see me until I can get to auto mechanic.

Strange how 3 mechanics missed this... and all were asked and told which wheel it was.

Fault codes cleared in vcds, apart from control module defective; which I am led to believe can be caused by brake output tests in vcds. Apparently this fault can be ignored, time will tell.
Old 16th December 2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordchris View Post
Couldn’t resist another look at the wiring and good job I did.

Cable had a layer of tape on it which was hard to see initially, on peeling it off I found 2 cables which had previously been soldered and repaired. One loose and one completely split and disconnected.

Have no solder iron and need Car in morning, so had to improvise with a bit of wiring from a light fitting, duct tape, bandage tape and insulating cable. No doubt not fully water tight never mind it’s only twisted and taped but hopefully see me until I can get to auto mechanic.

Strange how 3 mechanics missed this... and all were asked and told which wheel it was.

Fault codes cleared in vcds, apart from control module defective; which I am led to believe can be caused by brake output tests in vcds. Apparently this fault can be ignored, time will tell.
Well found! that control module defective fault may well disappear once the car realises it is all working ok repeatedly

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs