A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 1st May 2018, 07:16 PM

Just checked on my trade account and both those batteries are still available, but about £5 more a year down the line.

Andrew - when I changed mine I ended up taking the entire side trim out (which means removing the black trim around the slam panel too) as it's so much easier to get the battery into the space single handed that way. The far lead on the battery doesn't have much space to work with if you're trying to slot it through the hole!

Prob not worth the fuel to come down here for me to give you a hand, but the offer is there to grab one from Halfords and help fit it if it helps you out

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st May 2018, 10:48 PM

Thanks Adrian, I might take you up on that offer; haven't seen you in a while and now you don't have an S8 you're even less visible!

I'm going to monitor the battery over the next week or so, I can think of reasons why it went so low but this time it may not recover!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st May 2018, 10:56 PM

No worries - am about back end of this week and have the option to work from home when I feel like it

Mine went a bit like yours - it lasted a few weeks of seemingly random OK behaviour and the last time i used it before changing it, it only just caught on the starter to fire up!

One thing I did do with my battery change was charged the new one before fitting - I have a decent automatic Ring charger - so if you do decide to pop down I can get the battery ahead of time and get it charged before fitting just means you know it goes in the car with a full charge

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:12 AM

Thanks Adrian, I'll PM you later.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Ran it for a couple of minutes and it tested at 11.8V
And this morning I tested it before starting, it was 11.75v but fired up fine and very quickly.

Last night I only did 2 very short runs (<1m each way!) in the dark so that won't have done anything useful to the charge.
And right now it's raining hard so I'll leave a charging session until later.

PM coming your way Adrian.

I'm not using the car much before the annual meet so hopefully can sort it out by then, keeping it going until I get a new battery with occasional recharging.

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd May 2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
PM coming your way Adrian.
Contact made.
A couple of hours daytime driving yesterday and it's about 12.2V this morning, 60% according to my chart.
That's "probably" on its way out, but I'll see how it goes over the next few days.
Old 3rd May 2018, 01:52 PM

No worries Andrew - just drop me a line with a definitive yes when you want me to go ahead and order the battery

Old 4th May 2018, 11:54 AM

I'll definitely need it Adrian, the question is when. It was almost dead this morning; on charge now (again). Probably won't use it this weekend though so it can have a good long charge.
Old 4th May 2018, 09:59 PM

OK - if I'm passing Halfords this weekend I'll try and grab one

Old 17th May 2018, 03:03 PM

All done, many thanks Adrian and great to see you again, though sad you don't have an S8.

Adrian is a dab hand at whipping out all the trim around the boot and it's certainly easier without that in the way.
Two people on the job, also helps; one leaning over the rear wing from outside taking the weight of the battery while the other manipulates the cables.

Minor problem: the vent tube wasn't connected to the old battery (no evidence of overflow thankfully) and can't be connected to the new one.
It's missing an adapter on the end that plugs into the vent hole on the battery.

Anyone know where they can be sourced, are they a standard VAG part or eBay item?

Tags
battery, failure, urgent