A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 7th June 2016, 09:32 AM
Banned

Default TV output for RSE ?

See here for my build .

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...307#post113307

My question is on the old 2G system the TV tuner in the boot had AV1 AV1 and TV out ... so I linked the TV out to the RSE VIA video cable so instead of the feed from the dvd player in the boot the rear screens fed directly from the TV. ... but what I actually want to do is mimic the 3G+ Front screen in the rear so that I can play movies direct from the HDD from the front ...

Dose anyone know how to do this without fitting the D4 RSE?

I've cabled up the RSE ready for D4 10" screens but not figured how to mount them yet and the fact it's basically another 3G+ system working in tandem with the front system and the unit is very expensive

Last edited by daviesbike; 7th June 2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:35 AM

so you have the 2g tv tuner working with the 3g+ mmi setup in your w12 d3?

and you want to play whatevers on the mmi front to the rears
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 7th June 2016, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
so you have the 2g tv tuner working with the 3g+ mmi setup in your w12 d3?

and you want to play whatevers on the mmi front to the rears

That's correct yes
Old 7th June 2016, 11:12 PM

Don't think that's possible, the front display is lvds output is it not, so without some adaptor that converts lvds to composite I don't think you can mimic the mmi to your rse setup the way you want.

Old 7th June 2016, 11:40 PM

there is a kufatec wiring harness that costs about 350 quid. as delboy says the format of the output is different for the front screen.

the question is whether audi have as part of the rse put in a converter OR are the rear screens lvds in the d4. but i would think you need the harness anyway or at least knowledge of what and where its connecting to.

it may be fairly simple to setup the rears (using lvds screens) to mimic the front screen but that would mean you couldnt use nav for example as this would also be on the rear screen not the desired movie. the d4 of course uses a mmi type setup in the back with the controls, allowing the rear passengers to select what they want. as the retrofit kit is in the region of 6K i would say there is a lot of tech going in to allow this.

i would come to the conclusion that its more trouble and cost than its worth, but then again you have fitted d4 mmi in to the D3 so if anyones going to do it its probably you
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 8th June 2016, 07:51 AM
Banned

That's correct and the first pic that shows the cables I've installed also shows the lvds cables for the 10" rear screens ...

I found a full RSE set up on eBay for about £1500 including the control console and 2X screens plus the mmi unit ... it's essentially a second mmi 3G+ for the rear

Limmo what dose this £350 cable do exactly?
Old 8th June 2016, 10:19 AM

Its on the kufatec site. Cant link to it at the moment. Its described as the rse wiring harness.

I thought it might be a second head unit. Obviously software in it is slightly different. I am in Audi at the moment so will see if I can chat with the a8 master tech if he goes by again.

Old 8th June 2016, 10:26 AM

1500 sounds like a good deal if it provides the head unit and the screens. Are you intending to fit the rear d4 controls into the armrest or do you think it will work with what you have.

Old 8th June 2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Look at this on eBay* http://www.ebay.de/itm/262327094705

Actually this is not bad at 1900 quid it's a full set up !

Yes I was going to put the RSE panel inside the rear armrest in place of the controls for the 2G RSE I have now
Old 8th June 2016, 12:37 PM

i missed the tech he went off for lunch, any idea where they put the second mmi head