A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 6th February 2018, 12:23 PM

Full complement of ASIC's available today at Bitmain, any one buying

Old 6th February 2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Well my rigs still make about the same as they did in BTC, even if that equates to less in GBP right now. When the BTC price eventually gets back to where it was (or beyond) the mining I'm doing now will have been very profitable. And, if enough people are deterred from mining, difficulty will start to fall for the remaining miners. That's the way I look at it anyway, because I have no plans to sell any of the cryptocurrency I'm earning any time soon.

When I first played around with mining, nearly 2 years ago, profitability was terrible (at the time). Retrospectively, turns out I was actually earning 10 times more than it seemed (even after the recent price drop).
I'd noticed this....I'm *STILL* mining at the same ~rate yesterday as I was a week ago.

When I was mining a couple of weeks back I was making £X a day because that's what the alt coin was worth against the pound, but I've yet to convert anything back to the pound so that figure is a virtual one at best.....Arguably I should have turned my miners off a few weeks back when I was rubbing my hands with glee at the returns.

I could turn them off now.....Would I turn them on again when the coin value rises and will I be upset I turned them off ????

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 6th February 2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Full complement of ASIC's available today at Bitmain, any one buying
The dollar price is reasonable, but the BCH price is very high!!!!

Arguably NOW is the time to buy all the thing, *IF* you believe in the whole Alt coin shebang. BTC / Ether / BCH are all pretty cheap and the miners too....It could be a killing....or a blood bath!

Personally I don't think I am that bold or that wealthy to capitalise on the risk......However nor am I that afraid to cash all out I've got (prob a mild gain).....as I on purposely didn't overstep what I could afford to loose.

I am contemplating looking at Unit on my S7's as it's higher than BTC and gives more coins, so in keeping with my philosiphy

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 6th February 2018, 04:44 PM

I just read that AMD suggest that CPU mining might help offset the cost of building a new PC.
What do you think?

http://www.techradar.com/news/amd-su...our-pc-cheaper

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 6th February 2018, 05:09 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I just read that AMD suggest that CPU mining might help offset the cost of building a new PC.
What do you think?

http://www.techradar.com/news/amd-su...our-pc-cheaper
It all depends on the profitability and mining efficiency of that CPU really. But yeah, it's certainly something worth considering. The same idea can be applied to graphics cards. If you buy a high-end graphics card, as long as it makes more money mining than it uses in electricity, might as well let it pay for itself, mining whenever it's not in use.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 6th February 2018, 05:53 PM

Interesting that they claim a Threadripper can achieve as much as an un-optimised Vega - thats about 1200h/s, but £700 for a CPU is a bit much, especially at 180W TDP

Also, XMR-stak sucks with Nicehash I'm getting 212h/s with Claymore on a recycled i5 that uses 30W A whole 7 Electroneums a day

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 6th February 2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Oh and if you want to get it use http://revolut.com/r/leeoxn3!crypto as i'm trying to unlock and see what it's crypto functions are like as it may be a nice way to cash out into some holiday funds for the summer
I've been trialling Revolut for the last few days. Great, ain't it!

So far I've done a few tests, converting GBP to EUR (and back) and sent small amounts between my Revolut accounts, my bank account and Coinbase. Also, my physical Revolut card arrived in the post today too.

One thing it's very useful for is converting cryptocurrencies into fiat (not that I plan to do that any time soon, but it's good to have the facility in-place for when I want/need to). What you have to do is create Revolut EUR account and associate that with your Coinbase account. You then sell your cryptocurrency for Euros and send them to your Revolut account. Once received, convert them (instantly) into GBP and send them from your Revolut account to your bank account.

EDIT: Just realised you posted a referrer link. Forgot to use that, sorry

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 7th February 2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:28 PM

That sounds really useful. No Windows phone app though

Oh, apart from:

"Unfortunately, at this stage, we cannot allow transfers to external wallets or for customers to transfer their existing crypto to the app."

which makes it rather less useful and sounds like its not real crypto but just an in-app conversion from fiat.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 7th February 2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:40 PM

Yeah, Windows phones are a bit limited. My OH had one for a few years. It was a good phone but app support was dwindling so I gave up and bought her an Android phone in the end. If you're not planning to replace the phone soon, you could get a cheapo second phone just for unsupported apps such as those. You can pick up new android phones for as little as £40 that should be capable of running most apps.

Cars Owned:

Old 7th February 2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
"Unfortunately, at this stage, we cannot allow transfers to external wallets or for customers to transfer their existing crypto to the app."

which makes it rather less useful and sounds like its not real crypto but just an in-app conversion from fiat.
I'm not using the app's crypto wallet features. In fact I don't think they're available to me (yet). I think they're only rolling those features out to selected customers at the moment.

I'm just using the app (and the two GBP/EUR bank accounts it gives me) for transferring funds from Coinbase to my bank (and vice versa). You can also use it to pay (using the pre-paid card) or transfer money instantly to another Revolut user.

Cars Owned: