A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 29th July 2016, 02:37 PM

I've just had my cabriolet shipped up to its new owner in Fife, the company used was: http://www.falkirkcarcarriers.co.uk - very professional outfit, I got an update today that the car arrived as expected and was undamaged.

They collect and deliver all over the country.

Good news on the gearbox mate
Old 29th July 2016, 03:03 PM

I just called Chester Transmissions too. They don't have a gearbox in stock but they are able to recondition my existing one.

They quoted me £600 to have a reconditioned mechatronic unit, plus around £180 fitting and £150 for fluids, all plus VAT.

If the gearbox needs replacing, the reconditioning would be £1895 + 450 fitting and £150 fluids. Again, all plus VAT.

They're all still steep bills but they're more in the realm of feasibility. The mechatronic unit reconditioning obviously sounds most preferable.

Chester have the advantage of being quite close to Mackies, so the transport costs should be lower too.

...Plenty to weigh up over the weekend.

2008 Audi S8
Old 29th July 2016, 06:43 PM

I hope it works out whatever way you do it.

But we all love a story with a good ending
Old 29th July 2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
I've just had my cabriolet shipped up to its new owner in Fife, the company used was: http://www.falkirkcarcarriers.co.uk - very professional outfit, I got an update today that the car arrived as expected and was undamaged.

They collect and deliver all over the country.

Good news on the gearbox mate
Sorry, I didn't notice this post earlier. Strangely enough, that's the same company Mackie recommended! I've asked them for three quotes - one to return the car home to me, one to go to Chester and the other to go to Bristol.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Chester. I like the idea of there being the possibility of only replacing the mechatronics. Also, if the gearbox does need work, it'll be my existing gearbox that's reconditioned, so all the numbers will still match.

I'll take the weekend to think it over and start on Monday.

Once again, thanks everyone for all your help. I'll keep you posted.

2008 Audi S8
Old 30th July 2016, 08:14 PM

Tony, sorry to hear of your problems with the car, have followed your pursuit for an S8 and if it was me I'd be heartbroken.#

Out of interest, was the car running OK prior to the gearbox flush?
Old 30th July 2016, 10:36 PM

Hi Homer,

Thanks for your kind words. At the moment, I'm consternating about whether to repair or to unload. I've been leaning towards repair all day but sometimes I look at the financials and it's downright scary. It's funny, as at least one of you will know from another forum, I was originally looking to by a Range Rover and was talked out of it by a Land Rover employee who warned me about build quality and reliability. At times like this, I think a Rangie would have been a walk in the park in comparison!

Before the flush, the gearbox had a very slight shudder at around 1800rpm. It also had a pretty severe take-off from standstill when using anything but minimal throttle, but that was eased almost completely after the Terraclean - it seemed to give the engine so much low-down torque that there was little difference between manoeuvring speed and on-gas speed.

Only two things remain on the car to be fixed after the gearbox - the engine has a knock on the top end that isn't too severe, but triggers my OCD. The other is that I suspect he power steering pump is on it's way out because the steering never seems to want to return to centre. If the gearbox fitting requires the removal of the engine, I may ask the repairers to put a new pump in at the same time and just be done with it.

2008 Audi S8
Old 31st July 2016, 01:35 AM

I think Bristol should be able to keep your casing and re-build. As they did with mine. Surprised if not..

And not wanting to hi-jack the post and turn it into S8 common faults but if the engine does come out then it might be worth doing some rear hoses as a preventative measure. I have a failed oxygen sensor (pre cat) and apparently that is an engine out job too. Just because of a poxy sensor that's failed!

If power steering pump was going, I would expect you to get some noise or light vibrations from the steering. So maybe you don't have to worry about that - unless the engine is out anyway for other reasons.
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 31st July 2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks Kele,

Please don't worry about expanding the scope of this thread, it's all great info and conversations are organic. I've noticed there are two transmission places in Bristol. Which one did you go to?

If I do repair, I think I'll go with Chester. They have a good reputation and keeping the original parts appeals to me. It's a shame that, if the whole gearbox needs to be reconditioned, I'll be paying around £300 more than if Bristol were to replace it. On the flip side, I won't know the history of the box from Bristol (although I can't imagine it can be worse than mine!).

If they are able to repair just the mechatronics, I will have felt like I've had a near miss, but realistically, I think it's likely to be the whole gearbox because it was run with low fluid.

Three questions:

1) Does the gearbox removal require the engine to be taken out?

2) If so, what should I get changed while its out?

3) How much is a power steering pump?

2008 Audi S8
Old 31st July 2016, 10:08 AM

The power steering pump can be tested on the car with a pressure gauge and flow restrictor, the connection to break into and do that is down by the passenger side air box.

The steering pump is almost a grand before discount so would be wise to test rather than replace.

But the hoses on the back side of the engine is a good idea if your in there.

Really hope there is a good outcome to your issues Tony

Old 31st July 2016, 10:50 AM

Thanks very much Del.

Why is everything four figures with this car?!?! I'd be willing to pay it if it lasted as long as it costs, but in my experience at least, that's not been the case.

2008 Audi S8

Last edited by Turbo Tony; 31st July 2016 at 10:57 AM.